Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 1,011 to 1,017 of 1017

Thread: Wrc+

M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 4,174 Times in 2,231 Posts
    Re WRC+ All Live on Chrome - it works fine on my PC and I'm also able to cast it perfectly to my TV via Chromecast.

This is great and I can have it running all day like a WRCTV channel and dont have to be tied to my PC any more.

Re Presenters - the live rally coverage is all that matters to me and not the studio girls. I would love to get rid of Dereborough from all commentating and always use the excellent Julian Porter as the co-comms.

Re Graphics - Franky is spot on. They are awful and no substitute for watching the splits and stage times on a website as we did previously. It's like this info isnt that important when in fact its vital. A real shame and needs fixing asap.

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (14th June 2018)
    Liked 1,513 Times in 717 Posts
    You guys said it all: there’s still some work to do, especially regarding the signal quality (too much cuts).

Two more cents on the main presenter: with due respect, Abi is too calm; come on, she’s presenting the most exciting motorsport series of the world, not the afternoon show for housewives and pensioners. Besides, her diction is far from perfect and sometimes it’s hard to understand what she’s saying. Kiri was the opposite: always sharp, proactive and with no speech issues. Please, bring her back!

Btw, if they can get a driver with Welsh accent to help in the comments (nice job from Greensmith on this one) why can’t they also take a French, a Finn or an Italian (etc.) fluently speaking English? It would be interesting to have people from other countries and break this irritating exclusive Brit line up (with Molly’s exception).

Anyway, it’s great to have All Live available and I really hope they’ll manage to improve it.

PS: onboards are on again; Neuville PS is really something!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 767 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    It's confusing and frustrating when people keep switching around seemingly at random.
    It might have to do something with the logistics. Sometimes people just have to change locations. Also some changes can be nice as it offers different "view" on same situations.

4. Overall, the video quality needs to seriously improve. Bandwidth is not expensive, guys. Heavily compressed 720p 25fps with more artifacts than detail just doesn't cut it these days. It looks fine on my TV from 10 feet away, but on my 4k monitor at my desk, it is nearly unwatchable in fullscreen.
    If you mean video from stages then actually "bandwidth" is a serious problem. Just to name a few points:

1. Coverage vs quality
    Sure you could get better quality basically immediately at the expense of more gaps and cuts in coverage. Dunno how it is now but just a few years ago F1 onboards would cut below bridges on the circuit... and that's a single "open" circuit with few kms length. Not like a rally stage with trees, hills and houses all around.

2. Onboard equipment
    The transmission equipment onboard each car has very small footprint/antennas and low transmission power. Better quality might need bigger size/power supply.

3. Available spectrum
    Again I dunno what they use but generally large frequency BW available all over the world to transmit from more cars at once is a problem. There are special short term spectral approvals for "sports events", but even for those the BW is quite limited and subject to fees.
    Also here the coverage vs quality comes into play. Lower frequencies give better coverage, but most often lower bandwidth (quality), higher frequencies have more issues with trees/buildings.

Given a limited budget what is more important?

- more cuts vs better quality when it works
    - more stages covered vs less with very good coverage (like we had before Alllive)
    - different places and following cars on each stage or just same sections (they can pick sections with good coverage)
    - less or more roadside cameras? (might be that a given number of road-side cameras is mandated for highlights/tv reports)
    - ability to switch between cars when something important happens (to do that "live" they need to stream from all cars in stage which again takes BW)
    Last edited by mknight; 12th June 2018 at 23:21.

Liked 286 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Btw, if they can get a driver with Welsh accent to help in the comments (nice job from Greensmith on this one) why can’t they also take a French, a Finn or an Italian (etc.) fluently speaking English? It would be interesting to have people from other countries and break this irritating exclusive Brit line up (with Molly’s exception).
    I appreciate it's not clear to a foreign ear, but Greensmith actually has a Northern English accent, specifically Manchester area. You still make a good point though, as they have Emyr Penlan on their own team who does have a very strong Welsh accent and prior to All Live had primarily (at least) been a Welsh language broadcaster. I don't know that he'd even consider English to be his first language.
    Last edited by the sniper; 13th June 2018 at 01:25.

6. Likes: Rally Power (13th June 2018)
    Liked 1,895 Times in 867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post

PS: onboards are on again; Neuville PS is really something!
    Or the Cala Flumini stages on the narrow road between the walls

I agree the timing on screen is not working. Oftentimes when the car goes to finish the clock doesn't stop. And the overall time is usually not helping. We should see the stage results instead and a flash of overall order when a driver finishes. And similarly, splits should be available all the time when showing a car amid a stage.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 13th June 2018 at 06:14.

8. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (16th June 2018),pantealex (13th June 2018),Rally Power (13th June 2018),sonnybobiche (13th June 2018)
    Liked 230 Times in 86 Posts
    Perhaps stage times (I'd prefer current stage leader time + deltas) on the left, split times on the right, and current rally leader time + deltas in a scrolling marquee along the bottom, as they do in WEC. Although to be fair, I find it absolutely intolerable in WEC, but I think that's mainly down to there being 50+ entries, only 3 or 4 of which I actually care about.

But I think it's critical to be able to turn on the TV at any moment during a rally, turn on the live stream, and be able to tell within 5-10 seconds what the overall situation is. Currently you have to wait until the end of a stage and wait till they bring up the overall times, then pause the video and digest the numbers for a while. Unacceptable for anything less than a hardcore fan.

Liked 1,895 Times in 867 Posts
    At least people on twitter seem to agree with this https://twitter.com/AnttiL_WRC/statu...72965017636864

11. Likes: danon (14th June 2018)