Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Why do they have to ruin it?

Yesterdays race was quite good, and yet, from what I read in the paper this morning, they always find one thing to ruin it afterwards. I read that Lewis Hamilton was asked to let Nico pass. He defied team orders three times, which was a very good decision for the sport. No wonder F1 audiences are dwindling! It's called racing. Team orders is not racing!

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Team orders may not be racing but they are very much a part of F1 racing and probably always will be. Even when team orders were explicitly banned they still happened. They're not going away so you may as well accept them, though you certainly don't have to like them.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Team orders may not be racing but they are very much a part of F1 racing and probably always will be. Even when team orders were explicitly banned they still happened. They're not going away so you may as well accept them, though you certainly don't have to like them.
    This

Team orders have always been and will always be a part of F1. It mystifies me why so many people think team orders have only existed within the last 10 years or something.

In fact I would guess (no way of knowing) that team orders are generally less used now than at any time in history. Except 2003-2011 or whenever the ban on them was lifted.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Team orders have always been and will always be a part of F1. It mystifies me why so many people think team orders have only existed within the last 10 years or something.
    Memory can't go back further?

This wouldn't have happened without radio communication. In principle, I'd have those banned.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Lord knows what would have happened if forums and social media were around in the days of drivers taking over their team-mate's cars once their own had blown up mid-race! :\

6. Likes: BDunnell (29th July 2014),steveaki13 (28th July 2014),truefan72 (28th July 2014)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Memory can't go back further?

This wouldn't have happened without radio communication. In principle, I'd have those banned.
    Not sure if serious??? AFAIK, there was no radio communication in the 1950s, yet there seem to have been quite a number of team orders in those years - just ask Sir Stirling Moss.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Reality is that the formula that F1 has evolved into is one where machinery, especially electronic components need constant monitoring, and racing compromise. This season with the dramatic change in the formula, teams have got to use all possible methods to guarantee they make it to the end of the season without exceeding their allotment of limited components. Tire wear and fuel usage also have to fit into the equation. You have a racing team with engineers whose livelihood depends on getting the best result possible for the team (as well as each car). At times the equity of their decisions to the drivers in specific situations seem unfair, but it is the reality that F1 has become. Yesterdays race is a perfect example of a team being confronted with a decision where prerace strategy was practically useless, and teams had to react. Hamilton made a decision to not accept the order, that seems to have worked in his favor, so it was a good decision for his title aspirations. He is the one driving the car, and ultimately makes the decision, and then lives with the consequences. I think in this particular situation the team may have been a little too clinical in their decision making, and lost the plot a little in that decision, but that is only my opinion.

9. Likes: truefan72 (28th July 2014)
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy2k8 View Post
    ... Team orders is not racing!

???

Formula 1 has always been a constructors' series, where the team’s points dictate prize money. Maximizing team points requires decisions that contribute to the team’s success.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

11. Likes: gm99 (28th July 2014),steveaki13 (28th July 2014),Tazio (28th July 2014)
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Team orders will always be part of Formula 1. I don't like it myself, but that's the way it is and at least now it's legal and usually done out in the open. That saves us guessing when some cryptic radio transmission takes place and then two cars on a team switch positions, leaving us wondering if there was a problem or an order. But I do have to admit that it was funny when teams gave obvious orders when they were banned, and then tried to play innocent.

I'd like to see all of the actual radio transmissions from Mercedes myself. There seems to be several versions of what took place, with some articles suggesting it wasn't a blatant order but a strong suggestion.

In either case I'm glad Hamilton didn't yield. I don't think Nico had the pace to help his race any more other than taking a position from Lewis if he had slowed for him. There is no point at all in screwing a driver like that when the team is dominating in the championship regardless. Let them race and find out who can really deliver on track, because things change and next year you might need drivers that can fight hard to win that title.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Either let them race or hire a bunch of Barrichellos.

14. Likes: truefan72 (28th July 2014)