Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Lukyanuk

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    It seems there are different philosophies to approach rallying and clearly those two ends don't meet now.

Personally I see as a sport where organizers prepare a route that the competitors must pass as fast as possible. What lies behind the next corner is for the competitor to survive. Variety is everything. Rallies shouldn't be about guaranteed finishing.

Speaking about foundations of rallying, it's obvious it's born from upper class past time fun in early 1900s Central Europe. Those rallies had hardly any similarities to rallying what we have known for the past 55-60 years or so. Nordic events come into picture when the modern speed tests, special stages, were introduced. It happened simultaneously in many countries, but Nordic rallies bear a role. To link this all to this current discussion, and to provoke a little, Nordic influence on rallying is what makes the tarmac events nowadays sooooo dangerous.

2. Likes: janvanvurpa (9th August 2017),Mirek (7th August 2017),pantealex (8th August 2017),Rallyper (8th August 2017)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I'm leaving here one short story from distant past.

I think it was in 1980 when Antonio Zanussi came to Zlín to take part in his first Barum rally. He didn't even start. He said he was not properly prepared for what he found in recce. He said he would return when he is ready. He was working hard to come back next year - for the victory achieved at first attempt. That's something which nobody achieved in the last ten years including roughly one half of current WRC drivers.

Most of todays "dangerous" route was run already in that time. The tyres were shit compared to today, the suspension was bad, brakes weak and the passive safety of the cars was better not to talk about.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: br21 (8th August 2017),cali (7th August 2017),dimviii (8th August 2017),electroliquid (8th August 2017),focus206 (8th August 2017),Hartusvuori (8th August 2017),Jarek Z (7th August 2017),marcosg (8th August 2017),pantealex (8th August 2017),Rallyper (8th August 2017),TWRC (8th August 2017),WRC1 (7th August 2017),[RMC]Pip (8th August 2017)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Maybe you don't like Lukyanuk,but Kubica isn't different from Luky.
    Oh no, far from that. I like Lukyanuk's personality, positive attitude and admire his speed. I find him a true die-hard rally driver and a great attraction of each rally.

But... some part of me simply doesn't respect drivers who crash in every second rally. I can't help it, it's in my blood. I have always admired drivers who came to a rally and, without knowing the stages by heart, were able to win the event in the first attempt. Like Aghini, Basso, Travaglia, Rossetti and other great names of the past in the ERC. The drivers who crash in every second rally usually disappear from the stages very quickly. Do you remember Evgeny Novikov?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by br21 View Post
    guys... during last Rally Finland there was one corner where 17 cars went out... it was gravel event... during this event organizer put many chicanes and everyone complained... and it didn't help... so your solutions are not good...
    same there in Finland like last weekend in Rzeszow it was simply mistakes or lower level of crews which led to so many offs...
    pity to say, but level of the forum is going down, I still read, but very rarely I reply as I have a feeling is waste of time...
    With due respect br21, that’s not a very fair remark. If people, and especially insiders like you, can make more positive contributions why don’t they do it instead of moaning about how the forum level is getting down?

For sure my competitor experience was very limited (only a handful of events as driver or codriver in second level series) and so was my job as rally marshal, but I’ve learned a couple of things about the sport and one of them is that organizers can always try to improve safety.

Generally (not talking about Rzeszow anymore), if there’s the perfect notion that a specific stage point is too dangerous, organizers must act proactively; to get a couple of chicanes in those tricky spots can be a sensible solution. Apparently, that wasn’t the case in Finland, as chicanes were installed mainly to cope with FIA pressure to get average speed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Most of todays "dangerous" route was run already in that time. The tyres were shit compared to today, the suspension was bad, brakes weak and the passive safety of the cars was better not to talk about.
    That’s true; still, looking for safer ways to run motorsport is part of its evolution and survival.
    Rally addict since 1982

7. Likes: jparker (8th August 2017)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    That’s true; still, looking for safer ways to run motorsport is part of its evolution and survival.
    There is no ultimate safety solution for rallying and absolutely not for the cost of loosing the character of particular events. Even drivers disagree with You. You can ask them and nearly all would tell You they love Pindula which is probably one of the most dangerous and bumpy stages in the world.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Rally Finland ended using the Humalamäki stage because of it´s danger. However gravel is a lot more forgiving surface for the drivers. Still many offs.
    I´ll leave discussion here. We still have opposite thoughts. My point is a combination of safety for drivers AND spectators. Something I didn´t quite see on those vids from Poland.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

10. Likes: jparker (8th August 2017)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Rally Finland ended using the Humalamäki stage because of it´s danger.
    Parts of Humalamäki stage have been used on local events in recent years. I can not name single stage in Finland that would've been binned because it's too dangerous. Maybe Ouninpohja would be the first in line. It has reputation, and that is also why notably small number of crashes happen there, because drivers approach it with thought.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

12. Likes: AnttiL (8th August 2017),pantealex (8th August 2017),Rallyper (8th August 2017),tommeke_B (8th August 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    Parts of Humalamäki stage have been used on local events in recent years. I can not name single stage in Finland that would've been binned because it's too dangerous. Maybe Ouninpohja would be the first in line. It has reputation, and that is also why notably small number of crashes happen there, because drivers approach it with thought.
    Humalamäki was mostly dangerous because of crowd control issues. Ouninpohja is sure fast but also has good road surface. Last year Bertelli had a big crash that took his codriver to hospital and it wasn't even on the classic fast section...

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    Personally I see as a sport where organizers prepare a route that the competitors must pass as fast as possible. What lies behind the next corner is for the competitor to survive. Variety is everything. Rallies shouldn't be about guaranteed finishing.
    I general, I do agree with this statement, and I didn't try to make the opposite impression in this discussion, but .......
    In this particular case, it's not "about variety", it's about crashing for sure if you don't slow down.
    It's not about "guaranteed finishing", it's about guaranteed not finishing if you miss the place (which was very hard to spot) in the notes.
    I'm sorry, but those few bumps were sending the car in the air, then landing in another bump, and then crash .......
    As you said, the rally phylosopy is to pass all sections as fast as possible.
    This particular place was all about slowing down. The only way to avoid crashing, was to slow down.
    Experience in writing notes was the only skill tested here.
    I don't think driver skills, or suspension setup could off avoided the crashes.
    Things are not black and white as some here were trying to place them. Difficult/Technical sections yes, but not traps please.

Anyway, I'm also stepping out from this discussion.

15. Likes: Rallyper (8th August 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    Anyway, I'm also stepping out from this discussion.
    Apparently I’m the last on this one and I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but aren’t those “tricky rally corner” lookalike videos the living proof that organizers can do better? If a rally stage turns into a crash parade won’t alarms go off? No matter if it’s on tarmac, gravel or snow, there should be a limit for the ‘it’s up to the drivers’ general principle, avoiding the sport to appear like a reckless freaky show. Or not.
    Rally addict since 1982

17. Likes: jparker (8th August 2017),Rallyper (9th August 2017)