Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Subaru's problems...Prodrive F1 related?

One of my conspiracy theories is that David Richards is sucking the best engineers, money and general resources from the Subaru WRC team and applying it to preparation for his new Formula 1 team.

Anyone agree with me, or have any comments to backup/refute this theory?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smolvar
    One of my conspiracy theories is that David Richards is sucking the best engineers, money and general resources from the Subaru WRC team and applying it to preparation for his new Formula 1 team.

Possibly.

But then again, DR said that this year he'd be back to being very involved in SWRT to help make sure things get back on track.

I think it is more like DR is going a million directions at once and is taking Prodrive with him (Prodrive isn't a small company but, running SWRT, this F1 attempt, Aston Martin GT cars, and building and designing prototype road cars; it is a little much for one company to do it all to the highest level, let alone at the expansion rate Prodrive is having to move at. And now DR is heading up Aston Martin proper, oh, and lest not we forget ISC).

Prodrive for better or worse has been built, in part, based on the ability of DR to get the most from his people and keep things focused. SWRT is strongest when he is more involved. BAR-Honda was strongest when DR was heading up Prodrive's involvement. DR has not built a company that can deliver on its "reputation" without the cult of personality type leadership he provides and he has spread himself too thin to have that kinf of structure and formula for success. IMO, this is simply a case of a specialized company trying to do too much.

I could go on but this is enough for now, let's see what others have to say
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smolvar

That would actually only benefit the team if you go by the current mantra here that engineers can't build a car if their lives dependent on it. All you need is a short car with high cog and no laptops near it, that'll win you rallies.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's the opposite. They tried to used engineers with F1 ambitions for WRC. Bad idea...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WRC problems were happening long before F1 came on the horizon - at least two or three years now.

It's amazing that a company based on motorsport engineering, isn't going to design or engineer its own F1 car, but is hiring from McLaren or BMW....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Don't forget that Subaru is paying millions for them to run the WRC programme. If they don't go a good enough job, Subaru is perfectly able to give the job to another company.

The only current problems with the car that I've seen this year are reliability. And that's not just restricted to Prodrive - remember Peugeot in 2005? Shocking reliability then.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Remember 1998 when DR took over at Benetton, Subaru were leading both championships after Acropolis, never won again, lost both championships, maybe unconnected? DR was at the Bahrain GP yesterday, maybe his focus is on it rather than WRC, couldn't really blame him as the WRC is going off the radar.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    I think that Prodrive grew with DR being completed focused on it. When he started to have more interests and companys and was not completed focused on SWRT, the team came down. That's what is happening now.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    I think that Prodrive grew with DR being completed focused on it. When he started to have more interests and companys and was not completed focused on SWRT, the team came down. That's what is happening now.

Glad someone else agrees with me...
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Isn't that obvious? Or at least as far as I can remember.

What is a bit weird is that he used to be a co-driver himself. One could imagine he has his heart to WRC but no, most of all he is a businessman.
    Another Flying Finn