Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Nice to know that the US isn't the only country with screwed up politics. Restores my faith in human nature.

Perhaps if we took your Liberal Party and our Democratic Party, put them both in a blender, we'd have reasonable government for two countries.
    That experiment kind of already exists. The GOP is kind of the US equivalent of the Liberal Party here; so all you'd be left with... is all of Congress.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    You'd be wanting a Chevrolet SS then. Those cars are the Holden Commodore and built in Australia... until 2016.
    I had to Bing it (trying to avoid Google these days) to figure out what an SS was. Looks like it has good horsepower. Plain Jane styling though. But $45K for a Chevrolet RWD sedan is waaay too much, IMO. And I have to have AWD. Plus, that's getting close to a Merc CLA45 AMG ($45K vs $48K). I was joking about looking at a GM model, BTW - even if it did have functioning airbags and brakes and wouldn't blow-up or catch fire. But I have been car shopping in the past month, though I didn't look at any GM models. Although I guess my shopping trip triggered a wave of promotional offers in the mail from GM and others. You can get some very good deals right now (cash back, credit card loaded with bonuses once you buy a GM car, free gas for a year or whatever, "free" options or upgrades, discount financing, etc.). But I'd already decided on an STI and placed the order that first day of window shopping.

I'm happy that they sold their interest in Subaru/Fuji. I cannot see myself ever buying a GM vehicle, certainly not under its current leadership. And if they still owned a big chunk of Subie, I might have to look at that Merc CLA45 AMG instead... great car, but crazy expensive maintenance and there's no service dealer within 50 miles of me.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I had to Bing it (trying to avoid Google these days) to figure out what an SS was. Looks like it has good horsepower. Plain Jane styling though. But $45K for a Chevrolet RWD sedan is waaay too much, IMO. And I have to have AWD. Plus, that's getting close to a Merc CLA45 AMG ($45K vs $48K). I was joking about looking at a GM model, BTW - even if it did have functioning airbags and brakes and wouldn't blow-up or catch fire. But I have been car shopping in the past month, though I didn't look at any GM models. Although I guess my shopping trip triggered a wave of promotional offers in the mail from GM and others. You can get some very good deals right now (cash back, credit card loaded with bonuses once you buy a GM car, free gas for a year or whatever, "free" options or upgrades, discount financing, etc.). But I'd already decided on an STI and placed the order that first day of window shopping.

I'm happy that they sold their interest in Subaru/Fuji. I cannot see myself ever buying a GM vehicle, certainly not under its current leadership. And if they still owned a big chunk of Subie, I might have to look at that Merc CLA45 AMG instead... great car, but crazy expensive maintenance and there's no service dealer within 50 miles of me.
    The STi is an excellent choice. A tad rough though for a daily driver (IMO). That's why I have my Infiniti G37S. On the GM management, sounds like the new CEO is trying to clean up their act - at least not hiding her head in the sand like her predecessors did.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I had to Bing it (trying to avoid Google these days) to figure out what an SS was. Looks like it has good horsepower. Plain Jane styling though. But $45K for a Chevrolet RWD sedan is waaay too much, IMO. And I have to have AWD. Plus, that's getting close to a Merc CLA45 AMG ($45K vs $48K).
    I had a look at the CLA 45AMG on both the US and Australian websites.

List prices:
    US: $47450
    AU: $95909 (usd 89847)
    Looks like the "Australia Tax" is in play again.

I love how CLA45AMG is a completely fanciful nomenclature. It's a 2.0L Turbo in-line 4 (355bhp); meanwhile the SS is a 6.2L V8 (415bhp).
    It's a pity that GM never offered the Ute in the US. They could have used the El Camino name or some such. That too also dies along with Holden in 2016.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It's a pity that GM never offered the Ute in the US. They could have used the El Camino name or some such. That too also dies along with Holden in 2016.
    For whatever reason, that bodystyle has not sold well here (in more modern times). To be honest, if they offered one with AWD (does the Ute come with AWD?), I'd be more likely to look at a GM product. Several years ago I searched for a used Subaru Baja... 2008 or 2009, I was thinking. I didn't realize they'd stopped making them around 2006. Somewhat similar vehicles that flopped here: the Chevy SSR and the Hummer H3-T. Maybe a more pure version would do better, but no one seems to want to take a chance with it now... too much of a niche.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

The STi is an excellent choice. A tad rough though for a daily driver (IMO).
    Compared to my WRX (with about every racing suspension component that I could find), the STI actually rides like a 1950's Cadillac.

On longer trips, I'll still use the XK8. But my trip to work includes some major twisties. So for 20 minutes a day, I can be Senna at Monaco! I'm as much in love with the WRX now (10 years on) as the first day I picked it up, so I'm hoping the STI and I develop the same kind of "relationship".

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Compared to my WRX (with about every racing suspension component that I could find), the STI actually rides like a 1950's Cadillac.

On longer trips, I'll still use the XK8. But my trip to work includes some major twisties. So for 20 minutes a day, I can be Senna at Monaco! I'm as much in love with the WRX now (10 years on) as the first day I picked it up, so I'm hoping the STI and I develop the same kind of "relationship".
    You'll enjoy it for sure. My last two fun cars were a 1st gen MR2 (needed a bunch more power but man did it handle) and a '72 240Z which I bought new and kept for a very long time. Seriously considered the WRX before I bought an Acura CLS. I don't have time for a weekend car anymore and that's why I got the Infiniti. BMW 330 handling and power at 2/3 the price. Very comfortable on the interstate and much more reliable too.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    What's wrong with the old Subaru? Mine's ten years old and other than some rust it's worked like a charm. Two days ago I spent fifteen hours in it driving home from Colorado and all it really needs is some sound padding since the roads in Nebraska and western Iowa seem to make a resonant wail from my Continentals (thanks Donkey).

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y View Post
    What's wrong with the old Subaru? Mine's ten years old and other than some rust it's worked like a charm. Two days ago I spent fifteen hours in it driving home from Colorado and all it really needs is some sound padding since the roads in Nebraska and western Iowa seem to make a resonant wail from my Continentals (thanks Donkey).
    Oh, nothing at all is wrong with it. Just like me, it's got higher mileage on it now, but it can still kick some @$$ when necessary. But it's time for a new car. And I can't keep it (if I park any more cars near my shop, they might make me get a dealer's license or something). I really do still love this car. It's truly been the best, most reliable and fun car I've ever owned. Being a wagon, it's the ultimate sleeper. At least once a week some goober will do something silly on the highway and I cackle like a mad man as I make the boost climb and make him disappear in the mirror. People just don't expect a wagon to have almost 300 horsies and be able to flash away like that. So to let it go sort of hurts - we've had fun together. But I figure I'll let someone else enjoy it now.

You'll enjoy it for sure. My last two fun cars were a 1st gen MR2 (needed a bunch more power but man did it handle) and a '72 240Z which I bought new and kept for a very long time. Seriously considered the WRX before I bought an Acura CLS. I don't have time for a weekend car anymore and that's why I got the Infiniti. BMW 330 handling and power at 2/3 the price. Very comfortable on the interstate and much more reliable too.
    I think Mr. Jan Yeo has/had a 1st or 2nd gen MR2. It used to be in his avatar. I liked the 1st and 2nd gen MR2s. The second gen looked like a little Ferrari 328 to me. I've heard the Infiniti is a good car. You know how you're not a kid anymore? Just like I did, you mentioned reliability! Youngsters don't care about reliability. They can walk if their cars break down. I can walk too. Just not very far. And not without my knees popping and cracking!