Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts

Houston

Has anyone else watched round 1?

Lots of action, lots of twists, and a result that nobody could have expected. The changing weather really mixed things up, as well as taking out some really good drives.

I'm not going to say much just in case some are still planning on watching, but one of the best street races I've seen in a while.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I feel very disappointed with how Takuma Sato's race ended. To summarize for others, he moved from sixth to first position in just a couple of laps in a heavy rain with lots of standing water. After passing the leader, Takuma started building an impressive lead, until he run into the lap car. The lap car happened to be another Andretti car, just like the car driven by Hinchcliffe, the 2nd. Andretti Jr Jr slowed Sato, and was blue flagged. He still lingered for a few laps, and then got black flagged. At that point Sato's lead was erased. A full course caution made everyone pit, and Hinchcliffe won the race in pits by a few ft. I don't think this was a huge problem for Sato, but then he collided with the lap car of Aleshin, who was trying to overtake Sato in the weirdest spot, diving on the _outside_ before a turn. Anyways, this was certainly a very frustrating race for Sato. Hopefully today will be better.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Missed the race, the wife and I were on a day trip to Richmond. I'll be watching this afternoon though.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Very interesting race. I thought Helio's post race comments were a little out of line. He moved into the space where the other car was. Marco needs a little sit down. Several instances of contact due to him. Great drives by some rookies. Power's bad luck at the wrong time continues. Pretty entertaining day.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everyone involved in the TV/pit reporting crew crew were great! The races using those other guys are so uninspiring. Get rid of them.
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

I thought that overall both days had some really good racing. Helio was more at fault IMO, but it could have been easily avoided by Sebastian as well. Quite a few banzai passes over the weekend that were really hard passes but somehow made to look easy. And I also agree about the rookies, some of them raced like they had been around for a while. At the same time, in some cases they were all over the track and lucky to not take out (more) cars.

Also agree on the reporting crew. I really liked having people that know what they are talking about reporting rather than the dufus crew. It was strange having Steve Matchett as part of the race coverage, as I'm so used to hearing him covering the F1 races.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I thought that overall both days had some really good racing. Helio was more at fault IMO, but it could have been easily avoided by Sebastian as well. Quite a few banzai passes over the weekend that were really hard passes but somehow made to look easy. And I also agree about the rookies, some of them raced like they had been around for a while. At the same time, in some cases they were all over the track and lucky to not take out (more) cars.

Also agree on the reporting crew. I really liked having people that know what they are talking about reporting rather than the dufus crew. It was strange having Steve Matchett as part of the race coverage, as I'm so used to hearing him covering the F1 races.
    I completely disagree on Helio. He went all the way from driver's left to driver's right, a move that could be construed as outrageous blocking, to get in front of another car that was already deep in the braking zone. Totally his fault.

Completely agree on the TV crew. Sorry I missed the Saturday race, looked like it was fun.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Overall, a pretty good race weekend. The race track configuration is definitely very good. In fact, I think it's become a kind of a gem in the IndyCar schedule.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I completely disagree on Helio. He went all the way from driver's left to driver's right, a move that could be construed as outrageous blocking, to get in front of another car that was already deep in the braking zone. Totally his fault.

Completely agree on the TV crew. Sorry I missed the Saturday race, looked like it was fun.
    Helio must think he is still on DWTS and has the whole track to himself.
    Racing is 99% instinct, if you think, your toast.
    When Helio went down. Other drivers who saw Helio's move would go up and fill that space he left.
    Helio deserved to be knocked out.
    Last edited by mike15; 30th June 2014 at 21:21. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post

Don't get me wrong, as overall the contact was Helio's fault IMO. I just think he was under the assumption he still had room to move back over. Sebastian didn't have much time to react, and probably thought Helio was just trying to squeeze the line for corner entry. In either case it didn't end well.

Did you ever watch the Saturday coverage?