Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Sounds like a crash up derby to me.
    That's the point of the rule. That way you can have different winners, even when a team is dominant. Call it 'enforced minimum retirement rate'. Bet you my bottom dollar we'll see a SC for 'debris on track' in almost every race.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Worst idea in years IMO. Now we can potentially have restarts with all the drivers on different tires, worn at different levels, as well as potential greater differences in fuel loads. Sounds like a crash up derby to me.
    And, don't forget, every alternate driver starting on the marbles. And all of them on cold tyres. I really can't think of any reason to do this other than to cause crashes.

3. Likes: dj_bytedisaster (28th June 2014),Tazio (28th June 2014)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    As human beings, we've clearly reached our peak and are now beginning the downhill spiral. One of the reasons why the safety car was finally introduced to F1 (1993) was to avoid the procedural pain in the arse that was using standing starts for a re-start!

edit: Not one of the reasons. It was the reason!
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 28th June 2014 at 08:55.

5. Likes: pob (29th June 2014)
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: the way to deal with restarts to prevent one driver bolting is to actually conduct them properly in the first place. As in the States, control of the race goes with the starter (flagman) rather than the leader of the race. Only when the starter is satisfied that the field is aligned closely enough does the restart get given. Under the present system an SC period is more likely to break up the field than keep things close.
    Couldn't agree more. An easy solution — which is presumably why it hasn't been implemented, for all regulations must now, it seems, be so absurdly complex and require lengthy explanation as to render them a minefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    F1 shouldn't be about gimmicks, which is why they should ditch the silly tyre change rule too.

But F1 should be about technological innovation, which is why the hybrid drive trains, energy recovery, boost buttons etc are all a good thing.
    I agree, but I think boost buttons are an entertainment-driven device rather than a technological one.

The other problem is the complexity of regulations nowadays. Everything, as per my post above, requires a huge amount of explanation. Same goes for the stupid WRC 'shoot-out' idea. This is not a good thing at all. If a rule needs explaining in any depth, it's generally misguided. Keep it simple!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    When series start messing around you know they have no confidence in it, and/or they have no idea how to run it. Stop trying to attract the mythical casual fan – and concentrate on your hard-core fans; certainly don’t alienate them. Too late, they already have.
    Nowadays there is no expectation that people will come to be interested in anything over a gradual period of time. The end result of this is change for change's sake, gimmicks, and, as you say, the alienation of the core audience. This one sees in all sorts of events, forms of media, etc. It's assumed, arrogantly, that the core audience will always be there; then they confound the supposedly intelligent people (often marketing people) who took that view by walking away. This we see in both F1 and the WRC.

In F1, it's not as if the casual fan has been attracted by the measures taken of late to boost the 'show'. TV audiences have reportedly been declining, haven't they? Given that, one might think that the obvious course to follow is to stop tinkering with the sport (except, perhaps, in the area of cost reduction) and let things take their course. Instead, the powers that-be seem to think that a different form of tinkering will be the sport's saviour. Why? This latest re-start gimmick won't work either, you can bet your life.
    Last edited by BDunnell; 28th June 2014 at 13:29.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    The fans no like current F1, the Team no like current F1, the Pilots no like current F1.

Why is there current F1?

Jean Toad not man for job. May be more honest but made bigger mistakes over Max.

Change in air?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Can we also have a Le Mans style start where drivers start on the other side of the road and then have to climb into their cars?

I also think that cars like the Brabham BT46B should come back, but with added upgrades like a 007-DB4 oil slick and a Mario Kart style Spiny Shell (but not the Green Shell).
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

11. Likes: Mia 01 (30th June 2014)
    Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    ....yeah and the Boss could all totally be like "go-go gadget" "
    May the forza be with you

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFeegle View Post
    The fans no like current F1, the Team no like current F1, the Pilots no like current F1.

Why is there current F1?

Jean Toad not man for job. May be more honest but made bigger mistakes over Max.

Change in air?
    Those are simple, yet very probing questions. I reckon I could give a plausible answer. But I'm just you're everyday, anonymous, keyboard warrior knob. I also don't want to have to write an essay.