Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Surprisingly Vettel talks sense this time - this is another idea to increase "entertainment", but the cost is that it alienates real F1 fans even further.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edv View Post
    Why not force cars to use the pit-lane speed limiters around accidents? Perhaps for the entire sector where the accident is, then let them race as normal for the other 2 sectors?
    Pit lane speed limiters exist and work fine.
    Sector timing loops exist and work fine.
    Get rid of the SC altogether.
    Yes, this was introduced at the recent Le Mans 24hr event and seemed to work well.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Yes, this was introduced at the recent Le Mans 24hr event and seemed to work well.
    Yes. I thought that was a very good idea. It means on the rest of the circuit you can either race or go a SC speed and the sector involved can be dealt with quicker.

I really think they could implement thus in F1, and it would not see these crazy suggestions required. Although I dare say a crash fest restart is more the plan for these measures to improve the brain dead fans "show"
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Apparently it's confirmed that we're going to have standing restarts starting next year. WTF? I'll just repost here what I posted over on Facebook:

Breaking - F1(R) to Introduce "Mandatory Collisions" Rule Starting in 2016

PR Newswire (London) - In a move many have described as "controversial", the FIA and F1(R) management today announced a new "mandatory collisions" rule beginning from the 2016 F1(R) season. Under the new rule, all drivers will be required to participate in at least one car-to-car collision during each race. Details of the rule are still being finalized, but it seems likely that grid position penalties will be imposed on any driver not taking part in a collision during the preceding race. However, drivers will also be able to claim bonus F1(R) championship points if they are involved in a collision directly in front of the main grandstand.

Bernie Ecclestone, F1(R) rights holder, commented "We think this will make F1(R) races much more exciting for fans, especially those seated in premium grandstand seating". Not all of the teams were supportive. Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda was reached for comment, but his response was mostly in German, and upon translation was not considered suitable for publication. Others were more upbeat, however: Cyril Abiteboul, Caterham team principal, was especially excited, remarking: "This is great! Finally we'll be able to score some points!"

5. Likes: steveaki13 (27th June 2014),Tazio (29th July 2014)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Oh dear…. They really are deluded, aren’t they?
    There was a discussion earlier this year on RadioLeMans about changes to scoring/championship system in Nascar – but it could apply to F1, WRC;

When series start messing around you know they have no confidence in it, and/or they have no idea how to run it.
    Stop trying to attract the mythical casual fan – and concentrate on your hard-core fans; certainly don’t alienate them. Too late, they already have.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

7. Likes: BDunnell (28th June 2014),dj_bytedisaster (27th June 2014),journeyman racer (27th June 2014)
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    F1 shouldn't be about gimmicks, which is why they should ditch the silly tyre change rule too.

But F1 should be about technological innovation, which is why the hybrid drive trains, energy recovery, boost buttons etc are all a good thing.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    When series start messing around you know they have no confidence in it, and/or they have no idea how to run it.
    Stop trying to attract the mythical casual fan – and concentrate on your hard-core fans; certainly don’t alienate them. Too late, they already have.
    I agree.

I think its clear to see that F1 which has generally been the most popular motorsport series over the years, is now fishing around to fix problems of its own making.

So much tweaking of F1 that started around 2003 has never stopped as they are constantly changing things to trying fix the last problem created.

All in all F1 takes step after step closer to being a WWE style sport, and loses a few more hardcore fans each time.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    I don't think this is the worst gimmick that F1 has comeup with lately, but it is definitely an unnecessary one. I also think that, allother things being equal (which they are not) it will favor the lightestdrivers even more than they already are, due to the laws of inertia. If they dothis they have to address the wet weight of the rigs issue IMHO.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Are they going to reset the grid , with lapped drivers passing and running around to the back ?

If so , this will take even longer .
    Then , with the added danger of a standing start , it all may result in a series of restarts .
    And , that will take longer still .

Maybe it's better for the sponsors to have all the billboards together so they get some equal time on screen , but it's gonna be hard to convince the average viewer that it's a racing series if they don't spend most of the time racing .

And something I don't think anyone has mentioned is the four engine trip we're now on .
    Four , down from five .
    This comes from cost saving , and so does trying to trim the budget by sealing the motors , essentially , at the start of the season .

In the day , beating the big manufacturers really meant something .
    And , you had a real chance to come back , if you started on the back foot .

And , then they "fix" it with trumpets and sparky bottoms .

I used to watch just because I enjoyed the racing , but I must admit that added to that now is a bit of sadness and compulsion to keep watching as the series behaves like the tale of the snake , eating it's own tail .

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Worst idea in years IMO. Now we can potentially have restarts with all the drivers on different tires, worn at different levels, as well as potential greater differences in fuel loads. Sounds like a crash up derby to me.