Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Tallest and Shortest drivers in F1 history?

I just had a thought about this while writing about Justin Wilson. I would be very interested to know this. Does anyone have some knowledge about this?

I think Andrea Montermini was 5ft2 and Anthony Davidson 5ft3? Justin Wilson was 6ft3, though I heard 6ft4 reported sometimes.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    JJ Lehto, Cristiano da Mata, and T. Sato were little shits!
    Last edited by Tazio; 17th June 2014 at 06:57.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Mike Parkes was 6' 4" (1.93m). Dan Gurney, Troy Ruttman, Carel de Beaufort and Christian Danner are also said to be that height

Mike Hawthorn 6' 2" (1.88m) was the tallest World Champion

I can't find anything definitive on the shortest - Alain Prost, Jackie Stewart, Peter Gethin and Tazio Nuvolari are often mentioned
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Undoubtedly Dan Gurney was the quickest and best tall driver. Many photos exist of him sticking way up in the cockpit, particularly in the Porsche F1 car. That must have been worth partial seconds; also the Gurney bump in the roof on sportscars he drove. Judging by body language, Pedro Rogriguez was the opposite of Gurney; photos of him peering over the screen of those big Ferraris he drove are legion. He must have been on the short side, along with Ricardo. Certainly could motor fast.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mike Parkes was certainly a surprise package, seeing him collect the Spring trophy at Oulton in 1962, we estimated his height at around 6`5", noticeably taller than Hawthorn and Salvadori, at the opposite end of the scale, the smallest drivers we saw would be Archie Scott Brown, Jean Behra, and Richie Ginther was another seriously short on inches.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    Mike Parkes was 6' 4" (1.93m). Dan Gurney, Troy Ruttman, Carel de Beaufort and Christian Danner are also said to be that height
    I remember in F2 you could always spot Christian Danner from a mile off as his head was about 6" further out of the cockpit than his team mates! From memory, although Danner was the inaugural F3000 champ in 1985, in F1 he always had more success with the ladies than he did on track!

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Was at a charity auction and a race suit of Massa,s was on sale ,he must be very small to get into such a small race suit .
    Small rally drivers,well Jean Pierre Nicolas was rounded but small too

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you are covering in ALL forms/disciplines of racing in this, NASCAR drivers Buddy Baker 6ft5in tall, Richard Petty, 6ft4in tall, the late Tiny Lund, 5ft6in tall, Michael Waltrip, 6ft4in tall.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I've seen soemething recently that says Nuvolari was 5ft 3in (1.59m). And he did drive in one pre-championship F1 race so he just qualifies for this thread
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Who's the fattest?