Mercedes duo Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton on their differing fortunes; McLaren's Jenson Button on surging from eighth to fourth in the final two laps; and Max Chilton on his lap one crash with Marussia team mate Jules Bianchi. The drivers and senior team personnel report back on a wild, thrilling race in Canada...
McLaren
Jenson Button, 4th

"What a fantastic race! Big congratulations to Daniel - I'm a big fan of his, he's a great guy, and he's obviously got the skills. Your first grand prix victory is always very special, so very well done to him.
"The opening stint on the option tyre was tough-going for me, so I decided to jump off it quite early and move to the prime. But then I just kept coming up on traffic - there were cars everywhere: if you were racing against a single car, it was easier to get past, but if you were in a bunch, it was tough because lots of drivers were able to use the DRS. Still, I fought my way through at the end. I had a little dice with Fernando [Alonso] and Nico [Hulkenberg] - Fernando almost hit Nico at the hairpin, and had to dive down the inside. Then they both ran wide and I got down the inside of both of them.
"On the final lap you never want to see an accident like Felipe and Checo's - but, fortunately, they both got out of their cars okay, which was good. We come out of this weekend knowing that there's a better overall feel to our car - it's encouraging that we're making progress. In a straightforward race, I wouldn't have finished fourth, but we did a good job today and ought to be happy. These points are helpful, and they'll spur us on to do another good job in Austria."
Kevin Magnussen, 9th
"Before the race, I told myself that I'd be happy if I could score some points this afternoon. Getting both cars home in the top ten was great for the team, but we know there's still work to do to catch up with the teams ahead of us in the championship. Everyone is pushing so hard at the moment, so we just have to try and push that little bit harder. At the moment, I think we're finding our way - there are a lot of good things happening back at MTC - and the whole team is working flat-out, doing a really great job.
"This was a bit of a challenging and frustrating race for me. It's tough when you have to focus on looking after the tyres - I was racing Vergne for a long time at the end of the race, but I just didn't have the pace to get past him. Still, I think we can be encouraged - we have some positive steps in the pipeline, but it's still relatively tough-going for us at the moment. We just need to be patient and things will start to come our way."
Eric Boullier, McLaren racing director
"Firstly, it's worth saying that, as both a sporting event and as a piece of pure spectacle, this afternoon's Canadian Grand Prix was an absolutely fantastic showcase for Formula 1. As always, this circuit created the circumstances for an incredible race, some tense battles and the sport's newest-ever victor, Daniel Ricciardo. Bravo, Daniel - yours was an exceptional performance today. Secondly, we're also fortunate to be able to pass on our best wishes to both Felipe and Checo, both of whom escaped uninjured from a frightening accident on the last lap. It's a testament to the safety work that the sport tirelessly undertakes that both men were able to walk away from such sizeable impacts. We wish them both a full and speedy recovery.
"As Jenson said yesterday, eventful races like these really demonstrate the strength in depth of our trackside and strategy operations: we didn't have the raw pace to finish fourth, but a combination of good strategy calls, some excellent pits-to-driver communications, and aggressive drives from both drivers pushed both cars into the points. Jenson showed the never-give-up attitude that has served him so well at this circuit in the past: he started the penultimate lap in eighth position, and finished the race in fourth, making a brilliant move at the hairpin on lap 69 to overtake Nico and Fernando. Kevin's pace has been extremely strong all weekend, but his grid position, and the closeness of the cars around him, meant that much of his race was spent battling with traffic. After his pit stops, he did well to push back strongly in the second half of the grand prix.
"We take 14 points home from this weekend - let's hope we can continue to rack them up once we return to Europe."
Lotus
Romain Grosjean, DNF

"Today was not great in terms of pace for me, however there are some positives looking forwards. We can see that a Renault Sport F1 team can win a race so we have a target there, especially when the win came at a circuit that is not thought to be one of the stronger ones for them. Congratulations to Daniel for his win which I watched in the garage. The rear wing of my car broke, so it was safer to retire than risk a potentially dangerous situation. We have a lot of work to do, so it's time to go home and try to understand our problems and come back stronger in the next races."
Pastor Maldonado, DNF
"We had a similar problem to yesterday where we lost a lot of power. It's a shame as the race was going very well, and we had an excellent pace - to be honest I was quite surprised by the car. The strategy was good, as we were looking for one stop whereas all the other cars were planning two stops, so we were looking very strong today and even without stopping we were on a similar pace with the other teams. We just need to look into exactly what happened and work hard to fix the problems we are having. We've shown we can be competitive."
Federico Gastaldi, Lotus deputy team principal
"Today saw a great Formula 1 race and we must say congratulations to Daniel Riccardo for his first win. For us, it was certainly not our finest moment. Pastor was driving very strongly with a good strategy which should have seen him finish strongly in the points. He had an issue related to his power unit from the start of the race and eventually he had to retire because of this. This is frustrating for all involved and we will do everything we can to eradicate issues like this in the future. Romain had a tough race where he pushed all the way, but there was a problem with his rear wing. Again, not ideal and something we need to understand and rectify. We have a busy few weeks before Austria."
Alan Permane, Lotus trackside operations director
"A tough day for us. Pastor drove well and did everything we asked of him and could have finished strongly relative to his starting position. Romain struggled for pace and suffered from a rear wing problem. We need to analyse what happened with both cars. Pastor's problem was related to his power unit and we had this issue from the start of the race. We're working closely with Renault Sport F1 to understand what happened."
Caterham
Kamui Kobayashi, DNF

"My start was ok and I managed to avoid all the debris from the Marussia crash on lap one. The tyre management under the safety car was pretty good, but then a couple of laps after it came in I felt a problem with the rear coming out of turn two and had to stop the car. When I got out I had a look and I could see it was a rear suspension problem, so that was that.
"We've had a pretty hard time in Canada but we'll continue to fight. Our day will come, I'm pretty certain about that, but it wasn't to be this weekend in Montreal, so we'll have a look at everything we've learnt this weekend back at the factory and go to the next race in Austria ready to fight again."
Marcus Ericsson, DNF
"A disappointing end to a difficult weekend, but for me it's all part of the learning curve. As soon as the formation lap started I could feel that the Power Unit wasn't pulling hard in any gears and that continued under the safety car. The team tried to fix it but there wasn't anything we could do and as soon as the safety car came in I was told to retire and that was the end of the race. When I got the car back we found out the problem was with a pipe connected to the turbo, not the Power Unit itself, and we had to retire to prevent any damage to the engine. Obviously that's not how we wanted to end the race but we'll regroup and keep pushing."
Cedrik Staudohar, Renault Sport F1 track support leader
"After the start we could see the turbo speed on Marcus' car had greatly increased, indicating a leak in the intake system somewhere. The team will investigate why but we had no choice but to retire to save the Power Unit from damage. Kamui then stopped soon after with a suspension failure, bringing the weekend to a very disappointing conclusion."
Mercedes
Nico Rosberg, 2nd

"That was a big battle all the way through today! I had a tough start but I was able to defend in the first few corners and fight against Lewis. The race went smoothly for a while then both cars suddenly lost the MGU-K system and a lot of power which was really tough. Then I lost some time in the second pit stop which let Lewis jump me and I was struggling to cool the rear brakes down so it was all happening. Towards the end of the race, I tried to defend against Sergio which was fine but Daniel was too fast on the straights with much more power than I had available and he was able to get past. With so much going on, I had to ask my engineer where I finished at the end as I thought I was probably about fifth or sixth. I was so happy to hear that I was in P2! They are important points for me in the championship, so it was a tough but ultimately good day. Congratulations to Daniel for his first Formula 1 win."
Lewis Hamilton, DNF
"I did the best that I could out there today and felt like I was having a strong race but unfortunately it just wasn't our day. Montreal has been a good track for me so to come here and not finish is disappointing but there are plenty more races ahead of us this season so let's hope for better fortune. There was nothing I could do about our issues really. We were managing the loss of power but as soon as I finally made the jump on Nico in the second pit stop, my brakes failed going into Turn 10. It's great for the team that Nico was able to hold on and get second place today but it's tough for me. That's two DNFs now this season and now I have to try and recover the points gap again. But these are learning experiences: we'll learn as a team and get stronger. Congratulations to Daniel today. It's awesome for him to get his first win and I know this will be a really special day for him."
Toto Wolff, head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
"First of all, I must say I feel very sorry for Lewis. His retirement was not his fault in any way and it is something the team has to take on the chin. Both drivers were doing a great job up to the point when the MGU-K failed. That also led to the brake failure that forced Lewis to retire after the second pit-stop. Nico did a sensational job to get the car home and it was a fantastic piece of damage limitation given how much power he was giving away to the other cars. Now we will stick together as a team, analyse and understand what happened, and come out of this situation even stronger. Congratulations to Daniel Ricciardo on his first Grand Prix win. He's not just a quick guy but also a fresh new face as a Formula 1 winner, and that's something very positive for our sport."
Paddy Lowe, Mercedes team executive director (technical)
"We knew this would be a very tough race and so it proved. We were able to run at a good level of performance at the beginning of the race, notwithstanding a minor incident for Nico when he ran straight on at Turn 14 in the second stint. We then experienced a near-simultaneous failure of the MGU-K on both cars just after half distance, which was apparently caused by an issue in the high-voltage Control Electronics which manage the MGU-K. This meant both cars lost hybrid power from this point onwards and, without the additional braking force of the MGU-K, this also put a much higher load on the rear brakes. Lewis then suffered a complete rear brake failure after his second pit stop, which was a consequence of the MGU-K fault. Nico was not affected in the same way and managed incredibly to maintain position from lap 37 to lap 67, making up time in the first and second sectors in order to defend in sector three, when he was considerably down on power. This was achievable against the Force India but not the Red Bull after Ricciardo finally passed Perez. It is disappointing to see our run of race wins and one-two finishes come to an end. Nevertheless, we will regroup for the next race and will be determined to arrive in Austria in an even stronger position."
Marussia
Jules Bianchi, DNF

"I got a great start, kept everyone who was behind me behind and then obviously Max and I were racing each other through Turns 2 and 3. I braked into Turn 3 and there was an impact, after which I ended up in the wall with a badly damaged car. I am disappointed for the whole team because once again we had a strong weekend and it was a race that held so much promise for us, both in terms of the car we had and also how the race ultimately panned out today. Now we have to move on and give the team a better reward from Austria."
Max Chilton, DNF
"A disappointing end to a really promising weekend. The incident between myself and Jules obviously ended not only our own races but also the Team's, so it's sad for all the guys after making such progress again. I had a good start, pulled away from the cars behind into Turn 1, queued into Turn 2, then we had a coming together into Turn 3. The resulting accident was very unfortunate for us both and after a race to remember in Monaco, perhaps a race to forget here in Canada, but the one thing we'll keep hold of is how well the car is developing, so my thanks to all the team."
John Booth, Marussia team principal
"A very tough day for the team but one we will move on from very quickly. The accident at Turns 3 and 4 ruined both drivers' races and, more significantly, the team result. This can often be a race where opportunity can present itself, so it was key that we had both drivers running and taking part. The story of the wider race today was indeed one of attrition, but in the end the results have not affected our standings in the constructors' championship and for that we can at least be grateful and happy to leave Montreal still holding P9 in those standings. Next week will be a very busy time for the team back at base, where we'll regroup and sort through the damage sustained. The race team are also looking at a very busy end to the week this evening. We're a strong unit so I'm sure we will all pull together and focus on what we need to do for Austria in two weeks' time."
Pirelli
Paul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director

"Once again, Canada delivered a thrilling grand prix: this time in hot conditions, which led to plenty of interesting tyre strategies. With such an action-packed race, we saw plenty of improvisation from several drivers as they attempted to use tyre strategy to their best advantage. Congratulations to Daniel Ricciardo for his first win after a truly memorable race. Congratulations also to Force India, which has often taken a different approach to tyre strategy compared to their rivals in all the time we have been involved in Formula One. In Canada this led to a good result, which could have been even better had it not been for the accident right at the end, demonstrating again how tyre strategy can be used to boost final positions."

Toro Rosso
Jean-Eric Vergne, 8th

More...