Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Mr Truefan and Mr Malbec spot on. Gerhard similar to Button, no? Sublime on day and good scorer but not T1 me think. Still, me like him.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    Perhaps he had enough of the Senna/Prost infighting and as long as Senna and Berger got along he was satisfied. Senna won enough that McLaren didn't really need two number ones.
    So in defiance of easy rider's opinion. Under certain circumstances, Dennis would accept poor performance.

With the possible exception of Stefano Modena, there was no one else available.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFeegle View Post
    Mr Truefan and Mr Malbec spot on. Gerhard similar to Button, no? Sublime on day and good scorer but not T1 me think. Still, me like him.
    What? What??? Button is miles ahead of that potato. If Berger was driving the Brawn during his "prime" instead of Button, Vettel would've won 5 straight titles!

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Since when is 10 wins, 48 podiums, 12 poles, 21 fastest laps and 210 races mediocre
    Stats that are right on par with rubens, (and he had a dominant Ferrari for 3 seasons)
    SMH

I'm old enough to have watched berger race and he was a quality driver.
    lousy owner & team boss though
    I read this opinion. It seems to me that you either can't, or don't put stats in context. Barrichello had to wait til his 8th season of F1 to be in a car that could genuinely win a race.

Since when is 10 wins, 48 podiums, 12 poles, 21 fastest laps and 210 races mediocre? I'll tell you when. When a guy's career spans 14 seasons, 12 of which were in cars capable of winning a race. Yet, he managed the grand total of 10 wins. 10 wins equates to 0.83 wins a year. That's less than one a year! There are 16 races in a year!

Twice managed the heady heights of multiple races win in a season. Never managing to get more than 2 though. Usually when a driver becomes a multiple race winner, but never claims the title, there's always a season or two where the particular driver at least threatens to win it. But not Gerhard. He was often out of title contention by quite early in the season, round about Monaco GP time.

Slack. Unremarkable. No performance of note on the track. A large portion of his minimal amount of wins were due to an exceptional oddity that wasn't factored in. His only two memorabile moments on the track were to slam the wall at San Marino, and Mansell passing him round the outside at Mexico. You're right, he was far from mediocre, he wasn't good enough to be that good.

Gerhard Berger - An absolute pathetic attempt at imitating a GP driver.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 3rd June 2014 at 15:00.

Liked 682 Times in 478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    What? What??? Button is miles ahead of that potato. If Berger was driving the Brawn during his "prime" instead of Button, Vettel would've won 5 straight titles!

Since when is 10 wins, 48 podiums, 12 poles, 21 fastest laps and 210 races mediocre? I'll tell you when. When a guy's career spans 14 seasons, 12 of which were in cars capable of winning a race. Yet, he managed the grand total of 10 wins. 10 wins equates to 0.83 wins a year. That's less than one a year! There are 16 races in a year!

From a statistical viewpoint, Button isn't far off from Berger. But in that sense Berger was often teamed with people on the top of their game, and/or competing in seasons that were dominated by other teams and drivers. From an unbiased viewpoint, the career of Berger to me is more impressive than that of Button.

Neither was/is the quickest of their day unless in a dominant car, but both are generally the types of drivers that are consistent enough for teams to want their services.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    From a statistical viewpoint, Button isn't far off from Berger. But in that sense Berger was often teamed with people on the top of their game, and/or competing in seasons that were dominated by other teams and drivers. From an unbiased viewpoint, the career of Berger to me is more impressive than that of Button.

Neither was/is the quickest of their day unless in a dominant car, but both are generally the types of drivers that are consistent enough for teams to want their services.
    I like both drivers and rate them as decent drivers. However I have to put JB ahead. He has won a World Championship. That for me however it is done, puts him a level up from Berger.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    You're right, he was far from mediocre, he wasn't good enough to be that good.

Gerhard Berger - An absolute pathetic attempt at imitating a GP driver.
    Woah dude that's a little harsh.

He wasn't the best in the world by any means, but during his time, he was generally considered the best driver after the group of Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet. And he was considered to be capable of putting in the best drive out there on his best days.

I don't really consider him title material, but he was pretty good, though his final 2 years in particular were pretty slow and rubbish mostly.

I'd definitely put Button ahead as I think he did better than Berger in his prime would have in 2010 etc, but I'd say maybe Gerhard is more like Barrichello, just about.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.