Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Jim Clark's Golden Year, 1965

The Indy 500 tomorrow, reminds me of the times when front line F1 drivers regularly raced there. Professional racing drivers really lived up to the name at one point, competing in F1, Sportscars, Indy, F2, Can Am, whatever was available.

Most people know Jim Clark won the 500 and the World Drivers title in 1965, but the extent of his other racing and wins is quite remarkable, I don't know of anyone else who has a comparable record to his 1965 Tally.

He started off with a win at the South African GP Jan1.
    Down under he added 4 wins in the Tasman series to take that championship.
    Back in Europe he won the Syracuse GP Apr 4, for non-championship F1.
    and also won the Apr 19 Sunday Mirror Trophy.
    The month of May was dedicated to Indy, ceding Monaco to Graham Hill (probably would have won anyway, Clark never did win there)
    Won Indy dominating the race.
    Dropped into Mosport for the Players 200 sports car race, but a Lotus 30 was hopelessly outclassed by Chaparrals,
    Coopers and McLarens.

Back to Belgium June 13 he began a run of 5 straight F1 victories which wrapped up the WC by the Italian GP.
    For his 1965 point record Clark had 54, no other placings, no discards simply 6 wins,14 points ahead of Graham Hill,
    (Rindt also did this 1970, but not too many others)

From this summary I make it 8 F1 wins, 4 Tasman, plus the Indy 500. I well may have missed some, I was concentrating on the major races. A remarkable year by any accounting.

Current exclusive contracts for F1 and most other series preclude the occurrence of such a season again, but we are all the poorer for it.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    The Indy 500 tomorrow, reminds me of the times when front line F1 drivers regularly raced there. Professional racing drivers really lived up to the name at one point, competing in F1, Sportscars, Indy, F2, Can Am, whatever was available.

Most people know Jim Clark won the 500 and the World Drivers title in 1965, but the extent of his other racing and wins is quite remarkable, I don't know of anyone else who has a comparable record to his 1965 Tally.

He started off with a win at the South African GP Jan1.
    Down under he added 4 wins in the Tasman series to take that championship.
    Back in Europe he won the Syracuse GP Apr 4, for non-championship F1.
    and also won the Apr 19 Sunday Mirror Trophy.
    The month of May was dedicated to Indy, ceding Monaco to Graham Hill (probably would have won anyway, Clark never did win there)
    Won Indy dominating the race.
    Dropped into Mosport for the Players 200 sports car race, but a Lotus 30 was hopelessly outclassed by Chaparrals,
    Coopers and McLarens.

Back to Belgium June 13 he began a run of 5 straight F1 victories which wrapped up the WC by the Italian GP.
    For his 1965 point record Clark had 54, no other placings, no discards simply 6 wins,14 points ahead of Graham Hill,
    (Rindt also did this 1970, but not too many others)

From this summary I make it 8 F1 wins, 4 Tasman, plus the Indy 500. I well may have missed some, I was concentrating on the major races. A remarkable year by any accounting.

Current exclusive contracts for F1 and most other series preclude the occurrence of such a season again, but we are all the poorer for it.
    "Current exclusive contracts for F1 and most other series preclude the occurrence of such a season again, but we are all the poorer for it."
    Couldn't agree more.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    From a quick look at the listing in Andrew Tulloch's biography we can add a few more wins, albeit in more minor races: the Guards Trophy (Silverstone) in a Lotus 30, the Sebring 3hrs in a Lotus Cortina plus the Pau GP, London Trophy Crystal Palace), Rouen GP, British Eagle Trophy (Brands Hatch), and Oulton Park Gold Cup all in a F2 Lotus.

There may have been fewer Championship races but drivers, even the top ones, had a full diary and the true motor racing fan had more opportunities to see them race.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I Had forgotten the British Saloon Car Championship, Clark won 2 rounds in 65 with the Lotus-Cortina. Worth noting is that other drivers, participating in the long distance sportscar races probably raced more than Clark, just didn't win as often.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    In 1964 he won the British Saloon Car Championship in a Lotus Cortina with maximum points, including the results he had to drop. He won his class in all 8 rounds and was overall winner on 3 occasions beating the Galaxies
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.