Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

The new Indy road course

There has been a lot of nay saying and gnashing of teeth over violating the tradition of Indy by having an IndyCar road race - in May yet. It looks OK from the testing and may turn out to be a pretty good track. It remains to be seen though how the crowds turn out. I haven't heard how advance ticket sales have been.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    With the bump day drama gone, you have to do something. If you think about the history of the race, you had drivers and teams coming from all over the country to do the once a year race at Indianapolis. Now that it's pretty much just the teams that participate, bump day is a nonevent, so if you want to continue with the Month of May tradition, there's got to be something else of interest or people will just tune the race out.

Honestly, I always disliked the long, drawn out test/practice/qualify that led up to the 500, and I know there were a lot of teams that found it more than a little expensive to be at the track for three weeks.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've noticed that my ABC affiliate has relegated the race to a digital subchannel in favor of the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta. That says something.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it worked I really do....Adds to the build up for Indy with out nothing happening. It makes good sense to have the race at the start of the month this way. Think standing starts should be dropped though. I have always preferred rolling starts that's what makes Indycars, Indaycars. I hope this becomes a regular feature now each year. The race was good even with fuel consumption. Christ the race was so much better than F1 today
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST View Post
    I think it worked I really do....Adds to the build up for Indy with out nothing happening. It makes good sense to have the race at the start of the month this way. Think standing starts should be dropped though. I have always preferred rolling starts that's what makes Indycars, Indaycars. I hope this becomes a regular feature now each year. The race was good even with fuel consumption. Christ the race was so much better than F1 today
    The last 5 laps of F1 was good. The Indy race was much better.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    I'm not sure how you post a video here, but here is the link to the in-car theater from the Indianapolis Grand Prix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpSjrdPlxc

Watching the race on television did not really show all the insane action. It seems like everyone was banging wheels and knocking each other around. The new cars are certainly racy enough, and I think this track suits them really well.

I like the track, and I like the event. Speedway management says it is coming back next year, so that's something to look forward too. So far, with this race and qualifying, it's been a very entertaining month.