Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Mercedes may consider team orders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/27129980

Probably to be expected but a shame if this means no more racing like we saw in Bahrain.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    It would be a terrible shame if they did this and I don't see any reason to do it unless it is very very late in the season as we've seen other teams do this. I don't agree with team orders and think this year its likely to be the two Mercedes drivers who will finish first and second in the championship so I say let them race until the bitter end!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Welcome to the real world. Unfortunately for us, what a team cares the most is just bringing the two cars home in the first two places. It's nice to have thrilling intra-team battles as the one we enjoyed in Bahrain but that is only happening because Mercedes were miles ahead of their opposition. Should the gap to Merc be narrowed -and we know that it will-, you might see that Mercedes won't give as much freedom to their drivers as they do now, unless they have secured the WCC by then. Although, come to think of it, it wouldn't be strange at all to see Mercedes with an unsurmountable lead halfway through the season.

Of course we'd all love drivers to be racing only for themselves but I don't think there is a single person in here who would give their drivers absolute freedom to race each other if the team's WCC depended on it. Or is it?

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    If it's my team I tell the drivers that the first one who takes the other out is instantly demoted to #2. With that hanging over their heads they will play nice enough with each other.

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Not likely daddy-o!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    If it's my team I tell the drivers that the first one who takes the other out is instantly demoted to #2. With that hanging over their heads they will play nice enough with each other.
    "Tough luck"

I wonder if a preference in the team will happen?

I do actually agree with you though Doc, and really other than drivers seeing the red mist it should happen that way regardless. I really can't fault Nico and Lewis yet though, and many other team battles have resulted in clean and hard racing as well. It's the times that it gets out of hand they have to worry about.

I would think that thus far the racing on the Mercedes team isn't worthy of team orders not to race, but then again I'm not going to answer to a sponsor or team boss when an untold amount of hardware gets destroyed.

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Only team orders they will call is to have The Rosberg let Hamilton through. I don't see it the other way possible.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    I think this will only be an issue later in the season, and only if Red Bull or Ferrari (or another team) start to challenge them. If Merc continue to dominate they will win both titles anyway

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
    Only team orders they will call is to have The Rosberg let Hamilton through. I don't see it the other way possible.
    I don't think Lewis needs to be "let through", his race craft is simply that much better.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Some of you are only tempting fate with those comments, disregarding Rosberg.