Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Mr Tazio. It impossible to watch a race with impartiality. Do you?

2 best drivers on the grid Fernando and Lewis I think. Alonso driven well 2014 so far but Lewis back to previous best I see. No need convince others. My thoughts only but hard to argue different. Car very good but Lewis driven it without fault so far which all a driver can do.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I'll probably get flamed for this: I like the medals system. The object of racing - be it a F1 race or a primary school egg & spoon race - is to win. so, the champion should be the one who is best at achieving the objective, ie the person with the most wins.
    Alternatively, a points system that rewards winners, such as 32, 22, 16, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.

For constructors it's different. Their objective is to provide both their drivers with the chance of winning. The difference is they should be rewarded for coming close and for providing a reliable car hence they need a smaller difference between 1st and 2nd etc, ie somethiong like the present points.

Admittedly, there is the chance that with a medals system, the Championship could be tied up early. So what! Will that make the drivers any less competitive? They will want to beat the new champion and all the other drivers just as much as they wanted to beat the championship leader and all the other drivers earlier in the season.

The same goes for double points - why must the championship have to go down to the last race?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFeegle View Post
    Mr Tazio. It impossible to watch a race with impartiality. Do you?
    Not if you watch a recording of it after your emotional viewing of it live. I find it quite easy to dissect it impartially the second time through.

2 best drivers on the grid Fernando and Lewis I think. Alonso driven well 2014 so far but Lewis back to previous best I see. No need convince others. My thoughts only but hard to argue different. Car very good but Lewis driven it without fault so far which all a driver can do.
    Listen, I think "The Boss" and Fred may be the best pilots of the current field. However I also think Kettle, and Hulk may be as good, I really can't say with 100% conviction, and I sure as hell don't to care if anyone agrees with me.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Four races does not a season make....hmmmmm?

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    It is championship with many races, because it is supposed to award not only speed but also reliability.

If you want to measure just outright speed, it could be just 1 race to decide who is "fastest"

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    The final F3000 season started in exactly the same way (except in reverse) - Liuzzi won the first three races and retired from the fourth, while Toccacelo finished second in the first three and won the fourth. Toccacelo led the points 34-30 as a result. Points system? F1's top eight system, as used prior to the current one.

Every points system will throw up its anomalies - about the only one I can think of that would give Hamilton the lead at this stage would be, funnily enough, the 1991-2002 F1 system of 10 for a win and 6 for second.

Time to lob in a grenade: how about a NASCAR Chase-style format?
    Ooh don't go there even in jest.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    The final F3000 season started in exactly the same way (except in reverse) - Liuzzi won the first three races and retired from the fourth, while Toccacelo finished second in the first three and won the fourth. Toccacelo led the points 34-30 as a result.
    OMGosh I was just going to bring that up, then saw you'd beaten me to it!

Time to lob in a grenade: how about a NASCAR Chase-style format?
    Noooooooooooooooooooo. Have Mercy!
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Well stated edv. Here is a novel concept Macdaddy-o; Why not watch all the races very intently and with a high degree of impartiality, and then formulate an opinion of who you think the best pilot is. Inevitably it will be somewhat subjective. Or you can drone on about how The Boss, or any other pilot is the best as though convincing others makes your opinion legitimate, if that's what flips your pancake.
    That's the trick... remaining impartial. I rag on my favorite drivers as much as anyone else, and also try to be just as forgiving of drivers that I don't care for much. In my case I don't really have a "favorite" driver in a fanboy sense, though I do tend to lean towards the guys who will race hard for a position vs the type that will play it safe to finish every time.

And really even if you remain impartial, there is the car factor. You can take two excellent cars and if the pilots don't like the balance of the car or whatever suits their style, then it might not be an excellent car for them. Case in point is drivers that prefer oversteer to understeer and visa versa.

There are really just too many factors through the season to unsure the best driver always wins, even if they all drove the same cars. At some point luck comes into the picture, and pit support alone has robbed many drivers of higher finishes.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    I think it's ridiculous that three wins in a row can't overcome the points lost in a DNF.

The double points is a farce too. It's simply a means for dragging out the championship to the last race. If they wanted double points to really mean something, pay them at the classic venues that also mean something: Monoco, Silverstone and Monza, and maybe even Spa. It's sad that any event has become more important than those true jewels.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    I think it's ridiculous that three wins in a row can't overcome the points lost in a DNF.
    Does it really bother you that much? After all, Rosberg has finished 2nd 3 times. That's still pretty good. It's damage limitation for him, and he done it well so far. Do you want 2nd place to get 12 points?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    The double points is a farce too. It's simply a means for dragging out the championship to the last race. .
    Or it could mean a bigger margin of victory of the title winner?