Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

F1 Records Unlikely To Be Broken

Lewis Hamilton's win yesterday in China, brought him even with Jim Clark and Niki Lauda in wins, just another indication how the record book is tilting toward current and much younger drivers. I mentioned in the Senna post above how Sebastian Vettel's youngest point scoring record has already fallen to Daniil Kvyat.

I thought it might be interesting to list records extremely unlikely to be broken:

Oldest win Luigi Fagioli 53 (French GP 1951 sh w Fangio)
    Oldest point scorer Philippe Etancelin 56 ( 5th Italian GP 1950)
    Oldest starter Louis Chiron 56 (Monaco 1955 finished 6th just out of points)

Driver/Constructor All Jack Brabham's records, wins, poles, fl, championships

John Surtees Titles and records on 2 and 4 wheels

Graham Hill's triple including Drivers Championship, Le Mans win, Indy 500 win.(only Jacques Villeneuve is still racing but lost his chance with Peugeot at Le Mans)

Anyone have further suggestions?
    Last edited by D28; 22nd April 2014 at 14:55.

2. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I agree with those. None are likely to be broken.

Apart from maybe the Indy/F1/LeMan I suppose. That could still happen.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I agree with those. None are likely to be broken.

Apart from maybe the Indy/F1/LeMan I suppose. That could still happen.
    Indy racing is no longer a feeder series for F1 or unlikely to be so again. So the driver would have to do the F1 part first, then do Le Mans and Indy. That is a very tall order . In Hill's day it was possible to combine Indy with a F1 season as he, Clark, Brabham and several others did, now with specialization that is out. Mario Andretti also had a good shot but the Le Mans win eluded him. Its a good bet to remain an unique feat.

5. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree most of those won't be broken. I think the Indy/F1/Le Mans one is still pretty doable though. Juan Pablo Montoya won the 500 and finished 3rd in the F1 Championship twice in a row (he did however win at Monaco and Monaco, Indy and Le Mans are often considered to be the true definition of the "Triple Crown"). He never raced at Le Mans but he has won the very prestigious 24 Hours of Daytona. So basically, he hasn't done it and probably won't, but I think he's shown that it is at least doable in the modern era. A whole bunch of former F1 guys race at Le Mans every year and every once in a while you get an IndyCar guy like JPM or Sebastien Bourdais moving over to F1. All it takes is one.

As for the Jack Brabham one, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely, but I don't think its completely out of the realm of possibility. I was thinking that maybe a driver, later in his career, could buy the team (or at least a controlling stake in the team) he was driving for, and then win. Brawn bought Honda and won, so what would stop a driver from doing the same?
    Phil Hill - 1961
    Mario Andretti -1978

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    The Indy/F1/Le Mans triple could definitely be done in that order, if a driver shows well in IndyCar before moving to F1 (Le Mans is almost certainly going to be the last one to be completed). There haven't been many drivers coming from Indy to F1 lately (struggling to think of the last; probably Bourdais, taking the wider world of Champ Car into account) but with Haas' team due soon that could easily change.

If anything, the major barrier to the triple at the moment is the fact that a number of veteran drivers have won Indy in the last few years, who are long past their F1 prime.

As for the oldest driver records, it's no surprise they were all set in the 1950s, as an entire generation was effectively lost, or at least severely disrupted, by World War II - hence many of the drivers in the early World Championship Grands Prix were the now ageing pre-war stars. Not sure we'd want to see those records broken if it requires similar circumstances...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Keke Rosberg and Mike Hawthorn's least amount of race wins to win a title.

9. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcal226 View Post
    I agree most of those won't be broken. I think the Indy/F1/Le Mans one is still pretty doable though. Juan Pablo Montoya won the 500 and finished 3rd in the F1 Championship twice in a row (he did however win at Monaco and Monaco, Indy and Le Mans are often considered to be the true definition of the "Triple Crown"). He never raced at Le Mans but he has won the very prestigious 24 Hours of Daytona. So basically, he hasn't done it and probably won't, but I think he's shown that it is at least doable in the modern era. A whole bunch of former F1 guys race at Le Mans every year and every once in a while you get an IndyCar guy like JPM or Sebastien Bourdais moving over to F1. All it takes is one.

As for the Jack Brabham one, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely, but I don't think its completely out of the realm of possibility. I was thinking that maybe a driver, later in his career, could buy the team (or at least a controlling stake in the team) he was driving for, and then win. Brawn bought Honda and won, so what would stop a driver from doing the same?
    Sorry I should have said Driver/Constructor which I have now changed. I mean in the spirit of McLaren (when Bruce was alive) Gurney, Surtees and Graham Hill. Driving a car you had built from a team you assembled.

As for the GH triple, 7 guys have managed 2 of the 3, but it has been 42 years since Hill completed it at Le Mans. As for Monaco/Le Mans/Indy triple, that again would be Graham Hill quite the versatile driver.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Keke Rosberg and Mike Hawthorn's least amount of race wins to win a title.
    Good one.

I cant see anyone only winning 1 race in a championship winning season.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Good one.

I cant see anyone only winning 1 race in a championship winning season.
    Even if they do they will only equal the record, it is extremely unlikely to break it by winning the championship without winning a single race

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Serenessima's record of scoring points in every gp a car powered by one of their engines started. These engines were used briefly by McLaren at the very start of McLaren's journey into F1. They entered in 3 races as McLaren/Serenssima, qualified for 1 and Bruce McLaren finished 6th in the race (GB 1966).

14. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)