Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Whitout one of the best drivers the billion and billion effort from a team of for example Mercedes calibre is useless. A contract is binding and could be upheld in a court all over the world. Those team who not pay their drivers should not compete in F1.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    way to go Mia... say it as it is! There's definitely nothing wrong with F1 money wise... Just throw out the teams that are not rich enough to be in this perfectly balanced F1

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    In principle, it's pretty irresponsible management to not pay the full amount (or a fair amount in other circumstances), in any industry. Regardless what the amount is. It would've been an amount agreed upon. I doubt a gun was drawn at their head

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    Whitout one of the best drivers the billion and billion effort from a team of for example Mercedes calibre is useless. A contract is binding and could be upheld in a court all over the world. Those team who not pay their drivers should not compete in F1.
    Not a good example. A couple of grannies on pension day could get the current Mercs onto the podium.

What you forget is that the days of needing one of the unique breed of driver who can drive above the cars ability are gone.

Any professional driver should be able to navigate through the current rulebook to extract the teams expectation of the cars fuel allowance. A heavy right foot is no longer required.

If a driver is performing above the ability of the car fuel allowance there will quickly be a call from the pits to back it off. These current cars are so dialed down it brings tears to the eyes.

The drivers want to go faster - they can't. The teams want to go faster - they can't. The fans want them to go faster - whoops, fans don't matter.

Ludicrous.

Contracts are contracts and lawyers drive them. Its just normal business. I would expect future driver salaries to be as much about the straightness of their teeth as their abilities behind the wheel.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem14 View Post
    I find your logic seriously flawed.
    We won't even consider the considerable risk of serious injury or death F1 drivers are exposed to at every testing, practice, and race session. While F! cars are designed with driver safety in mind that does not mean all risk has been eliminated.
    A driver can still lose all earning potential in the blink of an eye.
    It's a risk they choose to take, and which many pay for the privilege of taking...also they are insured for exactly that reason.

Drivers have sponsor and team advertising and promotional obligations they have to meet and like an actor should expect to be paid for that work.
    Actors are also overpaid IMO. I also have obligations in my line of work but do not earn millions for it.

There is also the issue of the time an effort drivers must invest to stay in tip-top physical and mental condition.
    As must many manual trades.

Unlike most stick and ball sports, racing car drivers have to deal with physical demands for much longer periods of time between rests.
    So by that logic a GT driver should earn more than F1?

Then there are the technical knowledge aspects (car and driving) a top driver will have learned over the course of the drivers rise up through the ranks to the highest level of the sport.
    Again this is the same as any trade.

Consider too that not all drivers get paid the same. Indeed most F1 drivers get paid a small fraction of what the top drivers are paid by the teams.
    Just because x driver is earning say £6 million a year does that make it okay that Y driver is earning £1million?
    Last edited by MrJan; 18th April 2014 at 12:17.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    We don't know the details of anyone's contract, but if drivers aren't being paid what the teams agreed to pay them, that's just plain wrong.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    I find your logic seriously flawed.
    We won't even consider the considerable risk of serious injury or death F1 drivers are exposed to at every testing, practice, and race session. While F! cars are designed with driver safety in mind that does not mean all risk has been eliminated.
    A driver can still lose all earning potential in the blink of an eye.

Drivers have sponsor and team advertising and promotional obligations they have to meet and like an actor should expect to be paid for that work.

There is also the issue of the time an effort drivers must invest to stay in tip-top physical and mental condition.

Unlike most stick and ball sports, racing car drivers have to deal with physical demands for much longer periods of time between rests.

Then there are the technical knowledge aspects (car and driving) a top driver will have learned over the course of the drivers rise up through the ranks to the highest level of the sport.

Consider too that not all drivers get paid the same. Indeed most F1 drivers get paid a small fraction of what the top drivers are paid by the teams.
    I find your logic seriously flawed. I am currently working for a well known pizza store (you probably know which one it is) and do lots of driving at night (until 5am). In fact, I just got in an hour ago. I am working in an area where drivers are mugged quite often (again think of the night times). I had a bad night tonight where so many customers in awkward out of the way locations consistently wouldn't answer their doors or answer their phones, leaving the driver waiting for ages in a vulnerable position (I mean think about it). We have to drive in a way that's not slow either.

F1 is dangerous, especially with the driver's heads so exposed, but I'd say my daily job is more dangerous, realistically.

Sorry guys, but I'm a bit ticked as I had a bad night. I had to bring an incredible amount of orders back to the store tonight as I couldn't get hold of the customer. This is very time consuming (ok, sometimes it happens and can't be helped and that's fine, but it's the many who just seem to take the mick), leaving us standing out in the dark, often in back alleys etc for a long time, in the early hours of the morning, in an area known for muggings (several drivers have been mugged, and more than once). Also, my bosses are now suspicious of me, suspecting I'm up to something as this happened so many times tonight! What's more, I got given a fake £20 note by someone, which has come straight out my wages. My managers now seem to really think I'm commiting fraud/upto something - and they're not joking. Customers also tend to try to short change you, saying they don't have quite enough - even though if an order is £22.99 I have to give £22.99 t the store at the end of the night. If I'm short, it comes out of my wages - the shop gets their full amount one way or another, it's the driver who suffers.

People pleading poverty: I wouldn't mind being in a positon to order a pizza just once someday! (And I would tip the driver too, as they use their own car and phone, wear and tear is a killer!)

But enough of my self-pity, poor old Kimi Raikkonen!

(seriously I am grateful that I have a job, as that's better than I have been the last few years )
    Last edited by rjbetty; 20th April 2014 at 06:12.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Hi rjbetty.

Sorry to hear you knackered.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy