Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

FIA working on regulations for domestic championships

Is it just me or does it look like the FIA are wanting the major national championships to slowly adpot these new WTCC rules?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113464
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    How do you define a Touring car? Go to UK, Germany, Australia, Argentina, Sweden, etc and they'll all answer something different.

In my view it's a non starter. I'd argue that there is no need for a WTCC - when there are so many different Touring cars. And a World Championship should be the pinnacle with the best cars, drivers and tracks.

FWD, RWD, 4WD, V8, 1.6T, etc

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Not only will different countries have different answers but people within those countries too. I started watching around 94 so the period from then until about 97/98 of the BTCC is what I consider to be a touring car and TBH it started getting silly before then. To my mind a touring car should be the epitome of the old phrase "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" so cars should be closely related to their road going version...of course that ain't going to happen again because people take it too seriously and budgets go through the roof, that's why the BTCC needed such a drastic shake up 10 years or so ago.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    In my view it's a non starter. I'd argue that there is no need for a WTCC - when there are so many different Touring cars. And a World Championship should be the pinnacle with the best cars, drivers and tracks.

FWD, RWD, 4WD, V8, 1.6T, etc
    I think there's a need for it as a series, since it evolved as a result of weakening European domestic comps. But I don't think the use of "Championship" and/or "World" should be included in the title. Since the status and credibility of it is superseded by F1.

But I agree that the is a waste of time. Just let local governing bodies sort out what they want for a Touring car.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 17th April 2014 at 07:04.