Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW View Post
    Matt Neal and the other commentator were not too keen on Citroen, they seemed to dwell on the 'they are from rallying' this is racing theme.
    I don't think that's the issue, I think it's that they've come in and can happily put in laps in the middle of the race that are 3 seconds off the pace that they can actually run! Plus they clearly had team orders in place from the first corner on the first race of the season. Touring cars is supposed to be exciting yet it's been brutally shown up by F1, a series in which most teams seem to have let their drivers at least have a go at each other. It's one thing to tell your drivers not to crash, it's another completely to not let them even have a go.

FIA may be too lenient on Bennani but think Daniel's being too harsh, Coronel jammed across in front of him and you can expect someone just to get off the power in that situation. If Bennani had chucked a move up the inside then it would have been a different matter.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    I don't think that's the issue, I think it's that they've come in and can happily put in laps in the middle of the race that are 3 seconds off the pace that they can actually run! Plus they clearly had team orders in place from the first corner on the first race of the season. Touring cars is supposed to be exciting yet it's been brutally shown up by F1, a series in which most teams seem to have let their drivers at least have a go at each other. It's one thing to tell your drivers not to crash, it's another completely to not let them even have a go.
    Is "holding position" only something that Citroen is doing, or is something that other WTCC teams would do as well if their cars were all in podium position?

Quote Originally Posted by lewalcindor View Post
    Is "holding position" only something that Citroen is doing, or is something that other WTCC teams would do as well if their cars were all in podium position?
    Can't speak for WTCC as haven't watched it much in the past...but BTCC and even F1 currently have less in the way of team orders. If the Marrakech race is anything to go by then WTCC will be in bad shape by the end of the season, a team that walks all over the competition and flies in formation for 18 laps from lights to flag really doesn't boost viewing figures.

I don't blame Citroen for wanting to get all 3 cars to the finish, but it doesn't really make me want to watch again.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Yawn. Boring!!!

Amazing dominance by Citroen in race 1 but such a shame that, even at this stage, it seems the team dictated the finishing places. Not too surprising that they're at the top, they seem to put so much effort into preparing for a series that they make sure the car is fully developed when it hits competition. I mentioned this to my Dad when we were watching the rallying the other day, the way that Hyundai are suffering from lots of mechanical issues whereas VW have a car that was hot out of the box. Of course the difference (other than budget) is that VW took their time, whereas Hyundai got the car on the stages as soon as they could.

Astonishing to hear that the WTCC Citroen team even got to the point where they were testing crashing into each other to see what parts were weak!!
    The advantage those Citroen's have over the rest of the field is an absolute joke, but hey, its what happens when you spend an entire year testing, have an 8 figure budget and have 2 of the very best Touring Car drivers in the world amongst your three (and a multiple rally champion in the other)

The straight line speed advantage was actually frightening to watch
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1 View Post
    The advantage those Citroen's have over the rest of the field is an absolute joke, but hey, its what happens when you spend an entire year testing, have an 8 figure budget and have 2 of the very best Touring Car drivers in the world amongst your three (and a multiple rally champion in the other)

The straight line speed advantage was actually frightening to watch
    Yep, they certainly know how to deliver a decent car! I remember when they came into rallying it was the same, they spent years and years testing a developing and then entered the championship for their first full year with 2 of the most successful drivers of all time and some hot prospect from France. Team won the championship and the hot prospect finished 2nd in the driver's champ. Following that he won the next 9 championships! Say what you want about them but Citroen know how to deliver success.