Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    That's the trouble with Wikipedia.

Jarier was entered by the Shell Arnold team who hired the ex-Hubert Hahne March 701. Emphatically not a works car
    I concur with that. Not much point in trying to field 4 works cars, anyway the latest were March 711s

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    Right see the post by inimitablestoo above. Last time was 1885 for Renault.
    Thanks for the credit; seems pretty churlish to point out you're 100 years out, but that's what I do

What I can't add is any reason for the one-off three-car situations. Nor, for that matter, why AGS (in 1986) and Coloni (in 1987) were allowed to do just a couple of late-season races apiece (beyond gaining consent from their competitors). Nor, indeed, why single-car teams were still allowed until at least 1991 (excluding understandable one-off situations such as post-Imola 1994 for Williams and Simtek). All of this was before I started following the sport, so trying to piece it all together is fascinating, if frustrating.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    I concur with that. Not much point in trying to field 4 works cars, anyway the latest were March 711s
    Sorry to restart an old thread, but since that one seemed to be wrong, I think I found another example of 4 works cars. In 1961 Ferrari entered 4 works cars on a couple occasions. Phil Hill, Wolfgang von Trips and Richie Ginther drove every race (except the US GP which Ferrari didn't attend). That's three cars. Belgian Olivier Gendebien was entered by the Scuderia at the Belgian Grand Prix (his car was painted Yellow, the Belgian racing colors, for his home GP, but it was still a works car). He finished 4th. Belgian Willy Mairesse was entered in the German GP. He retired. And finally, Mexican Ricardo Rodriguez was entered in the Italian GP. He also retired. So in Belgium, Germany and Italy there were 4 works cars on the track for Ferrari. It says so on wikipedia (I know it can be unreliable) and I confirmed it when I read "The Limit" by Michael Cannell (a great book btw - I highly recommend it).
    Phil Hill - 1961
    Mario Andretti -1978

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    As several have pointed out, teams entering more than two cars for an event was a frequent occurrence up until the 1980's. With the passage of time and the myriad changes to how the Formula 1 world now operates, what now seem to be anomalies were essentially legislated out of existence for reasons that were generally due to standardizing the package or shutting the door or the whims of those in power. With the advent of both a new championship (yes, this is true, despite the usual refusal to acknowledge it) and the Concorde Agreement in 1981, FIA/FISA and FOCA developed a package for the series which stipulated a guarantee of X number of cars for an event, with provisos for exceptions as necessary. With only a few exceptions, teams had been whittled down to entering two cars for an event years before the Concorde Agreement. I think that it was one of the later Concorde Agreements that made the hard and fast rule regarding two car teams. Somewhere in my files I think I still have a copy of the original 1981 Concorde Agreement, but given both my now near-total lack of interest in F1 as well as nary a clue where I put it, rather sure that it was not the one that completely "outlawed" the entry of more two cars per team, that deed being done in the one that followed it.

If I were motivated to do so -- and I am not by any means, I am sure that I could come up a listing of entries of teams entering three or more car for an event. Part of the "fun" dealing with the Maserati 250F was sorting out the entry of the cars, it often being enough to baffle even the best of us at times. Fun fact is that Cooper and Lotus often entered three cars, Way Back in the Day, along with the Continental teams.

Funny how the minions at Wiki steal information all the time and still screw it up....
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood