Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

2014 Round 2- Long Beach - 13.4.2014

So Round 2 this weekend at Long beach

Just thought I would open the thread ready.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Weather should be great, sunny not too hot.

Looking forward to a great event and a King Taco Breakfast Burrito.
    40th running of the Grand Prix of Long Beach.
    Planning on bringing a couple friends for the first time.

Rooting for Justin
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I'm gonna miss this one too. Seems this year's schedule runs against my local racing. (The horizontal snow at our Summit Point driver's school the weekend of St Pete was interesting.) I'll try and DVD this one and catch up Sunday night. Bet they can't run green as long this week.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

As an Indy Car newbie, can I ask a question about "running Green" and cautions.

Why does Indy car go to full caution after every incident? I mean in F1 we have yellow flag zones, Double waved yellow flag zones and SC (full caution). Just wondered why Indy Car doesn't deal with smaller incidents by trying to keep the area under localised yellows.

Just a question

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post

Why does Indy car go to full caution after every incident? I mean in F1 we have yellow flag zones, Double waved yellow flag zones and SC (full caution). Just wondered why Indy Car doesn't deal with smaller incidents by trying to keep the area under localised yellows.

Just a question
    It's a good question. That's the way it used to be done in the early days of CART. Corner workers cleared most incidents and wreckers/safety trucks weren't on track nearly as much. Over time it changed. I think there are several reasons why it changed. One is that many of the drivers, officials, etc. were from the oval tradition. There are a lot of good reasons why you want full course yellows on an oval, also why you want to clean the track on an oval too. There were also a number of car to car incidents on road courses and, worse, a few incidents where course workers were injured or had close calls (think Vancouver) because even though the incident was yellow the drivers were in "race" mode. Bad publicity, insurance and (IMO) fuzzy thinking made the powers that be lean way to much toward trying to make what is inherently a dangerous sport into a "safe" sport. Then we got the original IRL and (old) BB, who is a dyed in the wool oval guy, and oval rules applied. Those are just my thoughts on it, others may differ.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a question
    It's called close competition in some circles. Most of the time local yellow is sufficient enough, as it was in the old days, but Indycar these days is different, very different. They're all yellow girlie men and no more strong and resilient. Their starts and restarts are priceless and done in very amateur manner, but hey it's three wide right? Yay!!!
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1 View Post
    It's called close competition in some circles. Most of the time local yellow is sufficient enough, as it was in the old days, but Indycar these days is different, very different. They're all yellow girlie men and no more strong and resilient. Their starts and restarts are priceless and done in very amateur manner, but hey it's three wide right? Yay!!!
    So is that some of the reason, just to inject extra excitement into the race?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So is that some of the reason, just to inject extra excitement into the race?
    My opinion is yes most of the time, but calling it excitement is a bit of a stretch .
    Last edited by FIAT1; 9th April 2014 at 22:50.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Anyone watching Round 2?

Crazy move by Ryan Hunter-Ray

Absolute carnage ensues.

Edit: Looking at the replay he was a fair way up the inside.