Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Angry 10 grand? Seriously???!!!

All I can say is:

Renault's head of track operations, Remi Taffin, told AUTOSPORT that F1 would be stuck with the sound it has unless the regulations changed.

"There's two big items that drive this," he said.

"Firstly revs: we went from 18,000 to something like 12,000 this year.

"It's important to say it's based on the regulations, because they set 15,000 as a maximum, but the fuel-flow limitation means the maximum we're running, whether it's a Ferrari, a Mercedes, or a Renault, is 12,000 and at the end of the straight it could be 10 or 11,000.

"This makes a very big difference, because last year it was 18,000. Now where you've got grandstands it's something like 10."
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't think you understand the article.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
    yup
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

???

Unless I am missing something, Jag is criticizing the current fuel optimised typical 10-11k rpm revs used by the new power units.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

???

Unless I am missing something, Jag is criticizing the current fuel consumption optimised typical 10-11k rpm revs used by the new power units.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    The engines are more powerful now with turbo,s and don't have to rev to 18000 revs any more .As has been said by the commentators they have to be careful out of corners,putting the power on ,or they get wheelspin in 5th gear
    And lap times are as fast as last year with the normally aspirated V8s

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    BBC had a Hamilton article (ghosted) yesterday where he said it - more torque at lower rpm is making them change to a higher gear at much lower rpm than with V8/10s hence the sound is compromised. Also to save fuel they are "coasting" by lifting off the throttle for 100+m of the straight and then braking.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    "It's important to say it's based on the regulations, because they set 15,000 as a maximum, but the fuel-flow limitation means the maximum we're running, whether it's a Ferrari, a Mercedes, or a Renault, is 12,000 and at the end of the straight it could be 10 or 11,000.
    Don't forget that the gear ratios are fixed for the year, too.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    10K is pretty domestic eh.

Everyone, and I mean everyone who I have spoken to about the "new" F1 makes comments that are negative to some degree. Such a shame.

Aside from the easy solution of removing some/all fuel restrictions, I wonder if allowing traction control might improve the situation. Traction control could aid immensely the final RPM/speed at the end of the straights.

The current cars are pretty much point and squirt and I think this is a big part of the problem. No doubt the V6's are grunty motors but they may need traction control to allow drivers to push the fronts harder coming out of the corners to achieve higher speeds down straights.

As to TC's effect on fuel consumption, fuel weight is its own penalty so with a fuel flow limit there is no need for a maximum fuel load. That would have to go.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    10K is pretty domestic eh.

Everyone, and I mean everyone who I have spoken to about the "new" F1 makes comments that are negative to some degree. Such a shame.

Aside from the easy solution of removing some/all fuel restrictions, I wonder if allowing traction control might improve the situation. Traction control could aid immensely the final RPM/speed at the end of the straights.

The current cars are pretty much point and squirt and I think this is a big part of the problem. No doubt the V6's are grunty motors but they may need traction control to allow drivers to push the fronts harder coming out of the corners to achieve higher speeds down straights.

As to TC's effect on fuel consumption, fuel weight is its own penalty so with a fuel flow limit there is no need for a maximum fuel load. That would have to go.
    Interesting, but I personally would hate to see TC back. I like the cars being difficult to drive.

What I would do, is get rid of the limited fuel. I would either give them as much fuel as they need or maybe even bring back refuelling.

To be honest. I am enjoying F1 so far this season, but I cant see F1 improving in the longer term for me, because the sport IMO is getting to bogged down.

Its hard to decide. Technology is important but that leads to less driver input and a lesser sporting challenge.

I guess the answer is that everyone wants and likes different things.

What does seem certain is the number of people losing interest in F1 is increasing.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy