Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts

Missing the rough rallies

Hi!
    I should start with introducing myself since I am new here. I am an -88 from Sweden who lives in Italy and work on boats as a marine engineer servicing and maintaining ship machinery. I have been a rally enthusiast since I was a kid. Started following rallying around -96.

Now, when I was a kid (I am probably still a kid in most peoples' eyes), there was a huge number of "endurance rallies" in the world rally championship calendar, such as the safari rally, Acropolis and cyprus. Why have they all been ditched?

7 rounds of smooth (in comparison) gravel rallying and 1 with smooth gravel and shit weather is slightly repetitive in my opinion.

'tis a shame

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    I dont miss them. Rally must be on tarmac. For rough roads there are thousands of offroad events, with machines proper for it.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    Hi!
    I should start with introducing myself since I am new here. I am an -88 from Sweden who lives in Italy and work on boats as a marine engineer servicing and maintaining ship machinery. I have been a rally enthusiast since I was a kid. Started following rallying around -96.

Now, when I was a kid (I am probably still a kid in most peoples' eyes), there was a huge number of "endurance rallies" in the world rally championship calendar, such as the safari rally, Acropolis and cyprus. Why have they all been ditched?

7 rounds of smooth (in comparison) gravel rallying and 1 with smooth gravel and shit weather is slightly repetitive in my opinion.

'tis a shame
    I'm a bit nostalgic about them too but usually there is a reason why every one was ditched.

Safari was left because of safety reasons. In 21st century nobody wants to drive over opened road sections where a crew can meet a bus full of children in full speed or something similar. Acropolis is out due to financial reasons. I believe there is no other reason. Regarding Cyprus in my opinion the IRC variant with mixed stages was way better than the rough and extremely slow WRC one. Hopefully this years ERC edition keeps similar shape as the last IRC ones which were great.

There is Argentina left in WRC as the last proper tough rally but any other can become a hell when it rains. With recent tyre regulations rain makes all very difficult especially on asphalt where the single pattern tyres are pretty useless in wet. Anyway it's true that there are marathon events for people who love rough off road events. In terms of competition Dakar moved somewhat closer to the old WRC.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    I enjoy the Dakar, that is not the problem here. The Dakar is harder to follow though with its two week length.

As a concept, a whole season of known drivers, known teams and cars, the WRC is a more fan-friendly idea.

It is just a shame to loose the proper unknowns that these rallies meant. I remember for instance one year when Richard Burns 206 got stuck in loose sand on the entry to the service park and he couldn't get it out in time and had to retire. That doesn't happen in say NZ.

I can understand the safety aspects and that is something that needs to be worked on of course, but I can't see why it can't be solved and why it can't come back.

Unfortunately I never followed the IRC well enough to know how the rally cyprus looked under the IRC banner but mixing stages sounds like a good concept, and I do remember that it was very slow with cars not averaging more than 60 kph.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    If You are interested in how Cyprus was run in IRC You can have a look on the record of Cyprus live "Golden stage" from 2011 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJkjQbkp1Q
    Or here 2011 live stage 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3odJVjmDTMM and here 2011 live stage 11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBG3yYXDBVs

What is shown as Golden stage was a concept from those times where after the end of Rally Cyprus (last event of the season) the crews competed one long stage twice for a big money. It was merely public stunt but it worked very well (in my opinion better than Power Stage as the golden stage was held as a separate event). In 2011 it was an epic run of Thierry Neuville who survived a huge moment live on camera and won the prize. That crazy moment alone is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3FO0xHzWA
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSon View Post
    I dont miss them. Rally must be on tarmac. For rough roads there are thousands of offroad events, with machines proper for it.
    you say you dont miss them.I respect it absolutely.But when you say rally must be on tarmac what can i say???????

Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    @mirek
    the greek prime minister called todt to assure him that the money for the rallly was secured.so no money problem.the problem was that some people got dizzy by lotos money.its that simple.money is pretext.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Mirek said it right, for Safari there is the cost problem as well, the teams must prepare cars just for this event, that cost money - last Safari Rallies were with special "attributes" to the cars, and of course the distant location is also expensive (comparing to Europe events).

PS: I'm not sure about Acropolis too, the Greeks can always find a way to find the budget.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    only safari would be nice to be back... the rest got what they deserved.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nafpaktos View Post
    @mirek
    the greek prime minister called todt to assure him that the money for the rallly was secured.so no money problem.the problem was that some people got dizzy by lotos money.its that simple.money is pretext.
    of course... the problem is that there were 12 events to ditch and they chose the weakest link... i doubt Lotos had any grudge with Acropolis.

Lotos just wanted a rally in Poland which is a great place for rallying from any point of view (apart from the lowlife drunk spectators)