Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low nose safety

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    At the end of the day low nose or high nose or something else. In a nose to tail impact, both have positive features and both can cause problems.

I did a silly experiment. I made two lego cars that were no more than a square block on wheels, we filmed them creashuing into each other basically flat surface to flat surface, in most if not all occasions one or both leapt into the air. To me this was a good illustration of the fact that no matter what you do - in a front to rear impact, one or both cars can be lifted off the ground in some way and no matter what you do this can't be completely mitigated against.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    At the end of the day low nose or high nose or something else. In a nose to tail impact, both have positive features and both can cause problems.

I did a silly experiment. I made two lego cars that were no more than a square block on wheels, we filmed them creashuing into each other basically flat surface to flat surface, in most if not all occasions one or both leapt into the air. To me this was a good illustration of the fact that no matter what you do - in a front to rear impact, one or both cars can be lifted off the ground in some way and no matter what you do this can't be completely mitigated against.
    That's where F1's aero centres are going wrong. They should abandon wind tunnels and Computers and use Lego...

Good point though. I think whatever is done, crashes will always be dangerous.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    The other thing to consider is this. Most front to rear impacts have a degree of wheel-on-wheel action. i.e. the front wheel of the following car hits the rear whell of the leading car. This is why the following car is often launched into space. This isn't going to change based on if the noses are high or low. The only way to do this is to have wheel giards a-la IRL (please no!!) or go back to Tyrrell-style bluff noses.