Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts

Re: Malaysian Boeing 777 missing

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    Just saw on a spanish news paper that apparently some of the cellphones are still active or calls are going through but nobody picked up...(wondering if this is the case then why hasn't the location of these phones been found out?)

http://www.lavanguardia.com/internacion ... teste.html
    What?!

That doesn't seem likely to me if they are under 2 miles of ocean.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have watched enough Air crash investigation episodes to know when a plane crashes a device fitted to the flight recorder sounds a beep on a certain frequency to help locate the plane. Usually used when it's on the ocean floor. There should be some evidence on the surface that it crashed in the water in the first place. Assuming it has.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    Just saw on a spanish news paper that apparently some of the cellphones are still active or calls are going through but nobody picked up...(wondering if this is the case then why hasn't the location of these phones been found out?)

http://www.lavanguardia.com/internacion ... teste.html
    What?!

That doesn't seem likely to me if they are under 2 miles of ocean.
    It very easy to explain and in it short it means that the phones aren't active, it's just the mobile network
    trying to locate the phones and while it does that it might appear as the called phone is ringing despite
    that it is actually turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPotato
    I have watched enough Air crash investigation episodes to know when a
    plane crashes a device fitted to the flight recorder sounds a beep on a certain frequency to help
    locate the plane. Usually used when it's on the ocean floor. There should be some evidence on the
    surface that it crashed in the water in the first place. Assuming it has.
    Yes it is called an "Under water locator beacon" and it is not used to locate the plane but
    only to locate the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder,

The UWLB sends a ping every 60 seconds at a frequency of about 35KHz and a strength of about 165dB.
    The beep can be heard at depths up to 6000m and the batteries lasts for at least 30 days.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

the daily mail have a brief explanation to the ringing: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ctive.html

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

Two girls say on a recent flight they made,the junior pilot ( first officer) that was on this flight,approached them whilst in the queue at the gate,and asked if they would like to come onto the flight deck to see them .The Australian girls been interviewed on CNN tonight.It also seems like the flight recorders were turned of and the plane made a sudden left turn ,then flew for another 1 and a half hours before radar lost track of the plane.So it actually flew back across Thailand .The sea they are now looking at for the aircraft is quite shallow ,they are talking of 400 ft in the deepest places,so maybe easier to find . The Malaysian authorities knew that the plane had made a sharp left off it's intended course,but sat on that information for 36 hours !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ble. You would think in this day and age a plane would have a proper built in tracker that cannot be turned off. I mean even my iphone has a tracker so if it gets stolen it can show the rough location it is.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Thanks Ble. You would think in this day and age a plane would have a proper built in tracker that cannot be turned off. I mean even my iphone has a tracker so if it gets stolen it can show the rough location it is.
    I wager that if your iPhone were under 3 feet of water, it would be impossible to find.

Salt water (of which the ocean is made) is a relatively good electrical conductor. Radio waves do not travel well through good conductors; partially hence the reason why a Faraday Cage works.
    A plane which is under water (assuming it has sunk), even with the best tracker in the world, can not escape the physical properties of the ocean in which it would have fallen into.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I wager that if your iPhone were under 3 feet of water, it would be impossible to find.

Salt water (of which the ocean is made) is a relatively good electrical conductor. Radio waves do not travel well through good conductors; partially hence the reason why a Faraday Cage works.
    A plane which is under water (assuming it has sunk), even with the best tracker in the world, can not escape the physical properties of the ocean in which it would have fallen into.
    Not quite accurate. The boxes used on airplanes are designed to work under water. The effective range is substantially reduced though.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

There is a reasonable explation to why every electric or electronic powered item on an
    airplane can be turned off. The reason is fire. In case (or risk) of a short-circuit and/or fire
    in an electric item or circuit. That item needs be able to be turned off to prevent the fire from
    spreading and etc. Therefore the pilots have the possibility to isolate all electric items and all
    electric items have a fuse that can be removed for that purpose.

So if you have a transponder which is powered by the aircraft generators and which you cannot
    turn off, if there is a short circuit you might risk loosing the entire aircraft because of fire
    that started in a transponder that you couldn't turn off.

So something that might be beneficial in one situation might not be so beneficial in another situation.
    So it's basically a pro/con thing when it comes to the ability to turn something off. What is the most useful?
    Having a transponder that is on at all times or a transponder that can be turned off to prevent a fire?

Also regarding those two women, well I think it is more of a made up scandal by media rather then something
    that actually happened. I also don't like the way they (indirectly) accuse the F/O of being the reason to
    the missing aircraft.

The wreckage might have been found by Chinese satellites.
    The location of the wreckage is in the South Chinese sea, pretty much along the planes expected route to Beijing.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2 ... 5f8520c7a3
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2 ... ca9ee78df2