Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Death Of A Despot

I smiled with quiet satisfaction last night as news reports of the passing of ex Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet were broadcast.
    This rather odious man and erstwhile playmate of our own Maggie Thatcher is believed to have been responsible for the deaths of many of his political detractors and for the "disappearance" of thousands of his own countrymen (Los Desaparecidos) during his iron rule.

I seldom take delight in the death of any human being (I have set fire to one or 2 though ) but in the case of this deeply unpleasant individual I'm prepared to make an exception.

PS A few years back I holidayed in Chile for a fortnight with Mrs Oaf.
    How we laughed when we dined in a restaurant in Santiago and were served 2 bowls of piping hot and fiery England Con Carne.
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Agreed oily. My parents are from Chile, and left because of Pinochet. Unfortunately, the man never faced justice, but hopefully, the arrest that took place on Nov. 25 had some sort of effect on his demise. This is a man that deserves zero sympathy. The worst isn't so much the fact that thousands died because of his dictatorship, but rather that so many simply "disappeared" and that their families will never have the closure they deserve. And in today's Chile, it is too sad to see that so many conservatives and liberals attempt to cover up this sombre history with a simple "let's move on" mentality. Hopefully this will light a fire under the Chilean judicial system to speed up the prosecution of all those involved in the coup and ensuing rule. Although I won't hold my breath.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I suppose it's too much to hope that Mugabe will take the hit and do the decent thing. i.e. Rid the planet of his being.

The whole Pinochet / Thatcher debacle and subsequent encampment in a prestigious mansion in Wentworth Golf Course while he was "too ill" to stand trial was a national disgrace.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think the only shame bit about Pinnochets death is that it took too long to happen, and of course the fact that it happened naturally, rather than at the end of a hangmans noose.
    :ninja: silent and deadly :ninja:

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    The whole Pinochet / Thatcher debacle and subsequent encampment in a prestigious mansion in Wentworth Golf Course while he was "too ill" to stand trial was a national disgrace.
    Even as an ardent Thatcherite I thought that alliance was ill advised, glad he's dead.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I suppose it's too much to hope that Mugabe will take the hit and do the decent thing. i.e. Rid the planet of his being.

Ah yes Mr Mugabe another sparkling beacon of rectitude and political integrity.
    (dons Bill McClaren mask and adopts broad Scottish accent "They'll be dancing in the streets of Harare when he curls up his tootsies")
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Apparently, Thatcher was 'deeply saddened' by Pinochet's death, which I find appalling. So too should all those who continue to revere her. If she is to be entirely consistent, she should also be 'deeply saddened' by the death of Saddam Hussein, because he was also once considered in the not-too-distant past to be something of a friend of British interests.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Apparently, Thatcher was 'deeply saddened' by Pinochet's death, which I find appalling. So too should all those who continue to revere her. If she is to be entirely consistent, she should also be 'deeply saddened' by the death of Saddam Hussein, because he was also once considered in the not-too-distant past to be something of a friend of British interests.
    Couldn't have put it better or indeed more succinctly myself Mr B
    (Well I probably could but sadly I have a rather nasty hangover going on at the moment. Curse that gypsy barmaid and her infernal pint pulling ways )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm glad he's gone and I agree with Carl.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.