Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cancel the Russian Grand Prix?

In light of the sh*t they're pulling in Ukraine do you think that the Russian Grand Prix should be canceled? Personally, I absolutely do. I guess the more important question is does anyone think there's any actual chance of that happening? There's a chance everything could be resolved by then, but I wouldn't bet on it. Bernie has shown in the past (Bahrain) that he's unfazed by political goings on and/or protests, but as we all know Bernie has lost some of his power over the winter. I can't imagine things would just be allowed to go ahead normally if things stay as they are. And with all the recent Russian involvement in the sport, this could be a big deal for the season. Thoughts?
    Phil Hill - 1961
    Mario Andretti -1978

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Re: Cancel the Russian Grand Prix?

Reply???? Raunchy fart sound
    May the forza be with you

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

while I am no fan of Putin, I like Neo-Nazis and Ultra Nationalists less. And that is what has usurped power in Ukraine. Yanukovych was a thug and a thief, and will likely not recieve the welcome in Moscow that he might otherwise receive - given the mess he has created from what started as a student rally against his pro-russian policies. The history of the area is one of a pathway beaten many times - particularly by the Nazis in WW2, and the current flock of ultra nationalists in Ukraine bear a striking resemblence.

So yes. I think the race should be pulled, but not for the obvious reasons.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

F1 traditionally has not involved itself in politics in this way. So if there is a safety issue, then yes, cancel, otherwise no.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Well there were warnings of safety in Bahrain and they were ignored and nothing happened on the event. Russia would probably be the same, but it is surely only a matter of time before one of these nut case terrorist groups decides that F1 is a nice target for getting people's attention quickly. And if Greenpeace can get into a F1 race and pre-load a banner on the podium...
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

The "Maidan" crowd got exactly what they sowed. Not happy with the democratically elected president? How about wait a year until the presidential election? Got the president ousted? Why stomp all over the rights of Russian-speaking east as soon as you get the chance? Why cry crocodile tears over people who allegedly got shot by snipers? Tell me, what would have happened in the United States if Washington was occupied by a crowd of lunatics who throw Molotov cocktails at the police? Exactly the same thing. These "peaceful protesters" in Kiev were stirring up trouble on purpose, for months. They wanted to have violent confrontations from the very beginning.

No one in this battle has the moral high ground in Ukraine. So why should the Russia GP be pulled out? Because the West mistakenly thinks it has a "higher" moral ground? And what does Ukraine have to do with Russian GP?

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    The "Maidan" crowd got exactly what they sowed. Not happy with the democratically elected president? How about wait a year until the presidential election? Got the president ousted?
    Democratically elected and Viktor Yanukovich do not exactly belong in the same sentence. He won the election, but it was anything but democratic by western Standards.

Why stomp all over the rights of Russian-speaking east as soon as you get the chance? Why cry crocodile tears over people who allegedly got shot by snipers?
    allegedly shot? The shots were real and when Yanokovichs residence was opened, the new Interim government confiscated the documents to prove it. They don't plan to bring Yanukovich before the Hague war criminals Tribunal on 'alleged' charges.

Tell me, what would have happened in the United States if Washington was occupied by a crowd of lunatics who throw Molotov cocktails at the police? Exactly the same thing. These "peaceful protesters" in Kiev were stirring up trouble on purpose, for months. They wanted to have violent confrontations from the very beginning.
    Are you by any Chance on Vladimir Putin's payroll? Where do you get your Infos from - Russia Today?? The Maidan protests started back in November and they were absolutely peaceful until Yanokovich decided to end the protests by sending Berkut troops to beat the crap out of them in late December. That prompted Nationalist right-wingers to jump the bandwaggon and use the protests for their Agenda. It was Yanokovich, who started the bloodshed, not the Maidan movement.

No one in this battle has the moral high ground in Ukraine. So why should the Russia GP be pulled out? Because the West mistakenly thinks it has a "higher" moral ground? And what does Ukraine have to do with Russian GP?
    The Maidan protesters (those of the November protests) DO have the Moral high ground as they were the only ones, who stuck to legitimite means. They protested peacefully and made the parliament see reason. You have to keep in mind that Yanokovichs ousting was legitimite according to the Ukranian constitution. And Yanukovich was ousted by his own party. They have the majority, so enough people of the party of regions have voted for his impeachment.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't mean to start a political debate here although I have to say I agree with everything dj_bytedisaster said. The Ukrainian's aren't perfect and have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to become a true functioning democracy but the fact is Russia is violating international law by invaded the Crimea in what is a effectively a Russian land-grab. Regardless of your political views on the situation the fact is that Russia may be facing some stiff sanctions from Western Europe, the historical home of Formula 1. My major question was does anyone realistically think a cancelation is possible? As I mentioned, with all the new Russian involvement in the sport, a cancellation could have big consequences. Bruce D mentioned that despite all the warnings about Bahrain, nothing ended up happening, but the 2011 race was cancelled, and unless i'm mistaken weren't some members of the Force India team injured in a molotov cocktail attack which caused them to miss a practice session in 2012? In any sport that would be a big deal I think.
    Phil Hill - 1961
    Mario Andretti -1978

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Bernard E. sent F1 to Bahrain while peaceful protesters were massacred. How are the chances to cancel Sotchi for a light spot of illegal aggression against a country that E. hasn't invested in.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

The goal of protesters from the very beginning was to oust democratically elected president, and this does not sound to me like rule of law or the way a democratic society should work. This could make sense in Egypt, where they don't get democratic elections anyways, but in Ukraine there was a democratic process and an election coming up soon. I do not buy into the narrative of the innocent peaceful protesters. A truly peaceful protest makes a point and disperses of its own. A proper peaceful protest does not hold the proper functions of government offices hostage. It does not linger in the capital for months paralyzing the work of the government for months. It does not really matter who escalated things and started violence first. When they occupy city center and shutdown the government for months, eventually someone, maybe police, will try to end the protests by violent means. Both sides did stupid things. Why did Ukraine parliament abolish the Russian language law just days after ousting Yanukovich? Sounds like a terrible blunder to me.