Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wydean 2014

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts

Wydean 2014

Liked 638 Times in 330 Posts

Re: Wydean 2014

I am really thinking of going here, although I fear a little bit of the weather and last minute cancellation of the event.
    I see (from your Flickr) you have experience in Wydean rally from the past, do you have any recommendation on viewing spots? And maybe what to avoid?

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by makinen_fan
    I am really thinking of going here, although I fear a little bit of the weather and last minute cancellation of the event.
    I see (from your Flickr) you have experience in Wydean rally from the past, do you have any recommendation on viewing spots? And maybe what to avoid?
    From the official web site

It had to happen

A number of our organisers have received phone calls enquiring if we were still running the rally on the 15th

Apparently our callers had been told various stories ranging from “The Forest of Dean has washed away” or that we have sunk beneath the Bristol Channel due to a huge tsunami.

I can assure everyone that my feet are dry, it’s not raining (at the moment) and that the stages are still high and dry (ish)

So if anyone tells you that we have cancelled the event, just tell them to get sensible and have a look at this posting.

Those who have followed our events over the last few years will know that no matter how wet, or how much frost and snow we do not cancel our events.

so no cancellation... the event is quite nice. the stages are close to each other but unfortunately this year they only run once. so you have to move if you want to see more than one.

From the onboards and from my 1 year experience i must say it is definitely worth a visit since there are a lot of competitors and the majority of them are pushing the cars plus it is the first BTRDA rally of the season and most of them want a good start.

I was just going to post the above, some really sad/stupid people spreading rubbish like that.

And some traffic news that the B4234 between Whitecroft and Parkend is closed until the end of February due to new pipes being laid, diversion is in place towards Bream and then into Parkend via Fancy Road.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=parken ... =0CKABELYD

As N.O.T says its a nice event to go to. I generally park between Serridge and Sallowvallets at car park H which means you can leave the car in one place, and have plenty of time to wonder into Serridge, where there are some quick approaches into juntions to watch from in the afternoon

Liked 340 Times in 171 Posts

Thanks Allyc and NOT for the info. I am definitely going this year.

Allyc do you know if this hairpin is in this year?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/allyc85/84 ... 2742311943

That is in the north of Sallowvallets, where the footpath down from the A4136 joins the stage. Best off parking in car park C for this spot.

Tomorrows weather

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... ab=fiveDay

My little video from an entertaining day, spent in stages 2 and 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idIPbdbkYgo

Shame for Euan Thorburn to go out, he was absolutely spectacular though the S bends towards juntion 9. Not sure all the spectators on the outside who got a proper gravel shower quite agree though!

Loved the 1400s, with some fantastic commitment through the field. Smith in that Ka drives the balls off of that thing!

And great to finally see Mellors out in the Proton, such a great noise!

3 of my pics from Sallowvallets [:Y:]

Wyedean Rally 2014 by Alastair Cummins, on Flickr

Made it to the Forest of Dean after a bit of adventurous trip from London through stormy winds, heavy showers, a closed M40 and some B roads full of tree bratches and semi-flooded...

We have watched SS2 and 6, I was really surprised by the number of spectators in both stages and amount of cars parked in the roads!! Definitely more people than the 2012 Wales Rally GB.

Indeed shame that Thornburn retired early and didn't get to see him for a second time. Some nice commitment by the leading crews in each class, although the overall level is not very high. A highlight for me was the sound of the TR7!!!!

Some of my photos will follow shortly.