Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Richard Petty, you are my hero

Given the hyper-sensitive, politically correct times in which we live, it's great to hear a true legend risk a backlash to say what long time racing fans have been saying for a LONG time. Mr. Petty, you da man!

Richard Petty: Danica can only win if no one else races

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-2014/5359575/

Another member of the Petty family apparently doesn't think much of Danica Patrick's driving ability.

Richard Petty, the "King" of NASCAR who holds the all-time record with 200 wins, told the website Wheels.ca that Patrick was only capable of winning if no other cars were on the track.

"(Only) if everybody else stayed home," Petty told the site during an appearance at the Canadian Motorsports Expo in Toronto.

Petty's son, TV analyst and former driver Kyle Petty, said Patrick was "not a race car driver" last year and never would be because she was just a "marketing machine."

But Richard Petty told Wheels.ca he believed Patrick was good for NASCAR despite her lack of ability, because NASCAR has evolved into "show time" since the days he raced.

COMING UP: 2014 Daytona Speedweeks schedule

"If she'd have been a male, nobody would ever know if she'd showed up at a race track," Petty said. "This is a female deal that's driving her. There's nothing wrong with that, because that's good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport."

Patrick ran a full-time Sprint Cup schedule in 2013. She opened the year by making a splash at the Daytona 500, where she became the first female driver to win a Cup pole. She finished eighth in the season opener, her only top-10 of the 36-race season.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Richard Petty, you are my hero

Yeah I found that to be hilariously funny, myself!
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't have a problem with what Richard Petty said, his opinion carries allot of credibility and validity in the sport. Richard has always been a "Straight shooter", not ever one to "Pull punches" or to "Beat around the bush". He was asked his opinion and he gave it. The problem I have is with the way that ESPN handled this. A good friend of mine, at another forum, and I were discussing this and he made what I feel to be a very valid observation/point. The ESPN writer(s) spun this into "The Pettys are out to get Danica" kind of thing. He/they did not have the BALLS to put his/their name(s) on the article, ESPN choosing instead to put it out on their standard "ESPN News Service"! I have to agree with him! ESPN acted more like the mainstream media, spinning story the story, sensationailized it really, instead of REPORTING what Richard Petty said! Petty answered a question, when asked, it was his opinion, NOT an attack against Danica, but ESPN used the opertunity to gin it up into a controversy! The way ESPN handled it was just plain wrong, IMO!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R.Lee
    ESPN acted more like the mainstream media, spinning story the story, sensationailized it really, instead of REPORTING what Richard Petty said! Petty answered a question, when asked, it was his opinion, NOT an attack against Danica, but ESPN used the opertunity to gin it up into a controversy! The way ESPN handled it was just plain wrong, IMO!
    ESPN has been doing this for years now. If they think it will get eyeballs watching their family of channels, they'll spin any story. I try to avoid watching them, unless of course, they are broadcasting a race.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tony needs to shut up. Like Petty needs to prove himself to anyone. What a joke, talking about he wasn't that good because he had a car advantage??? He actually worked on those cars. Danica is a marketing machine, but below average driver. Everyone (even her fans) know this. Just shut up Tony, you sound stupid.