Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No LED's in WRC?

Some fellow Baja off-road racers and fans and are discussing WRC driving lights, and the question was asked, why are HID lights used in night stages instead of LED lights? In SCORE Mexico type racing (Baja 1000 etc.), LED's have completely taken over as the lighting of choice, so it's a bit of a mystery as to why LED's are not used in the WRC. Are there sponsor obligations involved (HELLA), or what??

Side note: Armin Schwarz's involvement and driving ability in the SCORE series has created new interest in rally racing over here, amongst 'off-road' racing circles at least. Also, a few of us have had some interaction with Armin (with Martin Christensen), and his driving style and skills are very impressive, despite being in a different type of racing for him. Also, he's maybe the first to use WRC style course notes from his co-pilot in a Trophy Truck, a new discipline in SCORE as well.

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts

Re: No LED's in WRC?

Fiesta R5's are using it and probably will be the new Fiesta WRC too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From a group member here;

"PIAA has had them for a while, but they don't make light bars. PIAA is using an LED that shoots into a reflector that worked very well, but their marketing program isn't focused on racing. I'm not sure what Hella deal is.

I bet the aero advantage [for LED's] is pretty substantial as stated earlier, and probably worth the price of the lights as they don't destroy or use as many as the off road guys. WRC has a pretty large world audience, so only light manufacturers with world wide distribution channels or OE customers could take advantage of the exposure. The US based manufacturers(manu-packagers) would get very little exposure to their customer base which are for the most part driving trucks/Jeeps/UTV's."

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts

In rallying there is a rule stating how many lights (bulbs) You can use - for example 8 (2 built-in, 2 on bumper, 4 on the bonnet). Such limitation doesn't make sense with LEDs. It's just my guessing but the reason why LEDs are not used might be in non-defined rules for them.

Now there is first rally car with LED light ramp - Fiesta R5 so maybe others will follow. On the other hand R5 rules are completely new and were created from scratch so they might be different than for other classes.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To me LED's look totally stupid on rally cars

Can I ask what the reason for having those stupid looking led's is......is it too keep the tree huggers happy

I just hope that the WRC's keep the proper lights as long as possible
    I'm a daddy now!!! 2 goorgeous little girls Megan Jessica born 24th August 2009....

It's not about how things look but how they work. I don't like the look of Fiesta R5 ramp too...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ste898
    Can I ask what the reason for having those stupid looking led's is......
    I think it's fairly easy to out-run your lighting at the speeds that are run on course in the dead of night in the desert, 120-140MPH on open stretches.

The 'light bar' companies continue to improve the intensity and color of LED's, depending what works best. Personal preference for driver and co-dog.

The LED ramps shall have also much lower drag.

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts

LED's are quite clearer than the traditional lights used, and probably doesn't need so much power too.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts

Also muct be difficult to broke them at small offs,due to different mounting positions(not so front)