Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Why is he an "actual rallycross driver"? Before he came to Rallycross he raced touring cars and Porsches on asphalt. He has won the Superstars Series (touring cars), won the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship and the Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia.
Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
I wasn't aware of that, I only knew he did a couple of rallies in Sweden for fun. I'll rephrase then: I wonder if this year the driver championship will be won by a former WRC, DTM or touring car driver.
I actually think you both have a point here: Johan Kristoffersson has appeared in other National Championships, but he a young driver attempting to "make his name" and launch his racing career via the World Rallycross Championship (plus his family has been involved with rallycross for a lot of years).

Loeb and Ekstrom have made their name (and arguably reached the peak of their career) elsewhere, so I can see why some people are critical of them. You could perhaps say the same of Solberg but, as he began his career in rallycross many years ago (and the family of his wife have roots in rallycross), I daresay he has more connection to the sport than the other aforementioned Champions.

Before he I followed the WRC religiously for many many years, probably since around 2001. But after 9 years of watching a french guy called Sebastian say "for sure I am happii" without even a hint of a smile and walking away with the trophy on every single race it gets a bit boring. When he was out another guy called Sebastian picked up where he left and kept it boring.
I have been following WRC for the best part of 25 years now and there have been times when I have struggled to get excited about it (most notably in the height of Loeb dominance) but, in my personal opinion, the last two years have been the best seasons in at least 15 years...

I tried hard, for years, but come on, it really isn't exciting any more. I haven't really paid much attention this year, but a quick glance shows Sebastian winning three out of five races, is in the lead of course, and only four cars are in it.
...the outright results only really tell half the story. If someone were to look at the WRX results from 2018 thus far, they might assume that Kristoffersson had won two of the three rounds and was walking away with it again, but that clearly isn't true.

Yeah, Ogier is winning rallies but he is having to fight this year. You have a field of very competitive cars and some great talent emerging in WRC (Tanak is my personal pick of the bunch at the moment). Plus the new cars are stupidly fast and (much to my surprise) deserving of all the hype around them. If you have enjoyed WRC in the past then I would suggest you give it another look this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
You should have followed Gr. B days then. The difference was much bigger back then, and drivers could gain much more on single stage. But those were the times, and oh well - when Gr. B cars were banned from rally, guess what - they formed the rally cross as it is now. Funny, isn't it?
There seem to be a lot of rose-tinted spectacles worn when people look back at Group B-era rally. The cars were absolute weapons, but events were won by huge margins. Admittedly many events were a lot longer back then, but there was a much higher rate of attrition.