Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

WRC2 or ERC, pro et contra?

What are the pros and contras drivers and teams should think about before choosing a campaign for 2015?

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts
    WRC2 is definately much more expensive than ERC. ERC has way more airtime on a global channel like Eurosport. Last year we barely saw a direct battle between the title contenders in WRC-2, looks like this year it's a bit better, also the quality of the field has increased, same like ERC. But for ERC, 2013 was more a transition year with the R5's coming up. I expect to see in Ypres a top entry field.

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    While WRC2 is still World rally championship the main advantage of doing ERC in my opinion is that You can fight for overall victory. As seen plenty of times in WRC events nobody really cares about support categories. There is barely any coverage for them, no crowds cheering for the victors etc. It's definitely waaaaaaaaaaaaay different to celebrate victory on Ypres square in front of thousands of people and to run over the ramp after the show for Ogier & co. is over...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 3,793 Times in 1,686 Posts
    And I think also for "beginners or young drivers" is better to do ERC, because there are shorter distances between services, so they have more chances to work with cars (and cars have more chances to survive whole race).

Liked 3,295 Times in 1,734 Posts
    WRC2 is much more expensive, but there is not much competition in this championship. You can finish 40 minutes behind the winner and still be in top 3. The real competition and fierce battles for vicory are in ERC. Just ask Craig Breen and Robert Kubica. They are both WRC2 world champions, but in ERC they managed to win one single rally only.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    I don't know if this is only me but IRC was better. It was independent competetion parallel to WRC. And ERC will always be lower department...

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    I don't know if this is only me but IRC was better. It was independent competetion parallel to WRC. And ERC will always be lower department...
    It was, but when all R5 cars come on stream it could get back to a similar level to before.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Hope so.

Liked 3,793 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    Everything is about FIA. IRC was better, because it was unique championship for S2000 cars, which had no category on WRC level. When FIA have found it, they have started with SWRC and later WRC2 (and "killed" atmospheric S2000 but regulations). RRC cars and R5 cars has their special category in WRC, which is not helping the ERC...