Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penis F1 Cars

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Re: Penis F1 Cars

So, have we all vented our spleens, now? Finished with the phallic references and innuendo?

Good. As somebody mentioned somewhere on this forum, once the best solution becomes apparent, they all will begin to morph into the same looking car, and the same vociferous whingers will start lamenting the homogeneity of it all...

So, lets be glad we have F1 in the first place - seriously, it's just one step down from America's Cup sailing in terms of rich mans high pissing competitions.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Although the observations of some of the noses were amusing at first, its getting a little wearing now. I doubt we'll see body part references used to describe the fronts of the cars, at least I hope not.
    Ted Kravtiz has already used the phrase "gentleman's appendage." As if you needed anything else to make you dislike Sky more

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Although the observations of some of the noses were amusing at first, its getting a little wearing now. I doubt we'll see body part references used to describe the fronts of the cars, at least I hope not.
    Ted Kravtiz has already used the phrase "gentleman's appendage." As if you needed anything else to make you dislike Sky more
    I'm surprised Ted can see them considering he has a similar one in the middle of his forehead

Seriously though Sky have yet to impress me with their technical delivery so its hardly a surprise Andy. I'll just tune in and watch their races for free and leave the waffle to those paying for it

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I'm surprised Ted can see them considering he has a similar one in the middle of his forehead
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

So which design do we think will be best?

I ask because the likelihood is that which ever appears to be best will appear on most cars.

So will everyone put a vacuum cleaner on the front, a fork or a pointy bulge.

I cant wait to see how the Lotus goes. I mean the Mercedes and Ferrari have gone a similar way, and everyone else has gone for the ugly bulge.

Lotus are the only one to the fork direction. It could be a master stroke or disaster.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

At the very least it will be quite interesting to see who got it right. Assuming any of them did.

It seems that everyone has a slightly different idea, and when you're dealing with some of the best minds there are concerning aerodynamics, packaging, etc that seems rather strange. As much as I hope I'm wrong, it would seem that any protrusion would disrupt flow, and the wider the protrusion the more flow would be spread outward. Based on that the wider nose of the Ferrari would have to capture and control that outward flow to a much greater extent than the skinny noses of others.

I'm thinking that maybe Lotus got it right, as ugly as it is.

But I'm hoping they have all tackled the problem with designs that work for all cars, regardless of what outward appearances are.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

The disadvantage of the Lotus design is that behind the legality zone 50mm from the tip, their double nose has twice the cross-sectional area of the single noses. Obviously they feel the flow conditioning benefit outweighs that. My hunch is that the Red Bull design, with a tear-drop section hanging down below a higher, flatter nose, could be the winner.

Despite my sympathy for the team I really hope Caterham have got it wrong, we don't want to see everyone else copying that one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just like the stepped noses, the new low noses are hardly visible when out on the track.

At the launch the Force India looked terrible but as soon as you see the car in motion against a black background the extension is invisible - same with the Red Bull etc. Even the hoover style of the Ferrari is diminshed once you see it in it's real environment, not like a model on a catwalk at the launch.

The sound won't be much different for TV viewers, but as a spectator at an actual GP it will cetainly be different - it is now just a loud-ish car sound, whereas the V8s had a visceral quality that was almost overpowering.
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    The disadvantage of the Lotus design is that behind the legality zone 50mm from the tip, their double nose has twice the cross-sectional area of the single noses. Obviously they feel the flow conditioning benefit outweighs that. My hunch is that the Red Bull design, with a tear-drop section hanging down below a higher, flatter nose, could be the winner.

Despite my sympathy for the team I really hope Caterham have got it wrong, we don't want to see everyone else copying that one
    I hope that no design is fundamentally better than the others. As I said earlier, I do expect designs to converge, but I hope that doesn't happen. If 1 design does prove to be the benchmark I hope to all that is holy that it is not that forkin Renault, even the Caterham is a handsome elegant brute next to it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd say that the FIA should make mandatory chrome front bumpers the full width of the car - like a 1960 Cadillac. That would add some safety!
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty