Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

Re: Time to make a stand!

I'll be watching until the racing becomes utterly boring, and at this point it's still a long way from that IMO. Sure we've had the introduction of DRS, KERS, the tires being the same, etc, but all teams have the relative same opportunity to build within these regs, and the best teams and drivers still rise to the top. IMO it's much better racing than when a team could spend stupid amounts of money on a better car, have tires that weren't equal team to team, and walk away with very easy wins.

I remember times when racing was much less exciting than it is now, and much of that was due to not having regs that allowed for racing. Giant trains of faster cars behind much slower cars due to aero regs, small teams having little if any chance to find a footing to survive in the sport, drivers that admitted the car was the vast majority of the equation, etc.

I'm not an automatic fan or hater of any of these new ideas until we see how it pans out. Double points at the final race may seem stupid, but it almost ensures that most teams will develop the car through the entire season unless they have enough margin that it can't be overcome by the team below them in the standings.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts

I'll keep on watching 'the show' just the way I did last year... in between naps and only if I really don't have anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon. I remember the days when I would actually make an effort to arrange my schedule around races... and when I couldn't watch them I couldn't wait to find out what happened... but then they came up with ideas like DRS, crappy tires, no testing... and now double points for the final race and budget caps... and on top of that we have this annoying brat racing by himself winning title after title... I must say it is a show indeed... a horror show

It was on my must do list to attend a f1 race but I don't think it's worth the money anymore

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I'm already starting to follow other forms of motorsport
    Interesting too hear Henners. What other motorsports are you following this year. I follow a few other series and occasionally post in the other sections of this forum.
    Mostly bikes although they don't get the kind of coverage F1 does, I seem to be enjoying the fact there is still an element of independents making a name for themselves and far less politics. I've had an open invitation to the Isle of Man for years now and I keep passing it up. I think 2015 I will make my first trip as my cousin lives on the course and usually has a garden full of people and a good atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    I'll be watching until the racing becomes utterly boring, and at this point it's still a long way from that IMO. Sure we've had the introduction of DRS, KERS, the tires being the same, etc, but all teams have the relative same opportunity to build within these regs, and the best teams and drivers still rise to the top. IMO it's much better racing than when a team could spend stupid amounts of money on a better car, have tires that weren't equal team to team, and walk away with very easy wins.

I remember times when racing was much less exciting than it is now, and much of that was due to not having regs that allowed for racing. Giant trains of faster cars behind much slower cars due to aero regs, small teams having little if any chance to find a footing to survive in the sport, drivers that admitted the car was the vast majority of the equation, etc.

I'm not an automatic fan or hater of any of these new ideas until we see how it pans out. Double points at the final race may seem stupid, but it almost ensures that most teams will develop the car through the entire season unless they have enough margin that it can't be overcome by the team below them in the standings.
    My main gripe is the way F1 is making it harder for fans to watch and although its not completely boring (has been of late though), it has made me question whether I could miss a season or two. I've done it before in the past and up until recently I thought I loved F1, but have realised I actually love good racing. I've got the same enjoyment out of other forms of motorsport and to be honest, its a positive thing. I've always concentrated purely on F1 and a bit of MotoGP, not so bothered about the latter recently. I've never divided my time between other racing series. Friends of mine who also follow F1 have always argued there are better forms of racing out there and I've always arrogantly denied this, however I think there is scope to consider enjoying more traditional motorsports.

With F1 slowly edging on to Satellite only and the last of the FTA biding their time until the contract runs out, it doesn't matter if the racing improves and is the best ever, if hardly anybody is watching then F1 needs to look at how they threw it all away. Just my observation. I will watch this season when I can and will undoubtedly still find some enjoyment from it. Lets hope Hamilton has a car to compete and we have a Mercedes Ferrari battle this year for a change.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Sounds good Henners.

Definitely worth making an effort of make use of that invitation. I have never been but It must be something special
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

I really enjoy the variety of the new cars.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Same
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Mostly bikes although they don't get the kind of coverage F1 does, I seem to be enjoying the fact there is still an element of independents making a name for themselves and far less politics. I've had an open invitation to the Isle of Man for years now and I keep passing it up. I think 2015 I will make my first trip as my cousin lives on the course and usually has a garden full of people and a good atmosphere.
    Definitely recommended. There is nothing quite like it. You don't get views like this at Silverstone. For party atmosphere, mind-boggling speeds and general craziness you can't beat the TT. But also consider the Classic TT/Manx GP in August - still great to watch, but more laid-back, much easier to get ferry bookings, tables in restaurants, good viewing spots etc. Where does your cousin live?

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    I don't like the direction F1 has been going over the last few years. Hopefully they will come to their senses and put it right. Unfortunately I have this addiction, and I can't see myself 12 stepping F1, so I will continue to watch, and enjoy.
    that's how I feel too.
    many things in F1 worry me, and I've tried to kick the habit. even in 2013 with the vettel/RBR borefest i hung on bravely to watch each race. Perhap hoping for a miracle or perhaps being a fool ,who knows. I've watched f1 for over 30 years now and the only period where I really didn't watch it were the 2000-2004 years. Yes, the broadcasting situation is somewhat ridiculous, and I have resigned myself to "other means" to watch it. But I still get a some pleasure out of watching the races and the race starts still make me super nervous and on the edge of my seat.

I simply find it hard to let go, and frankly there isn't another series that brings me the same pleasure. Maybe if LMP1 cars had an expanded series with shorter races and more teams, but still maintained LeMans24h then perhaps i might focus on that. I do love those LMP1 cars though, but can't see myself dedicating an entire day to watch those races on a consistent basis. MotoGP is in even worse shape than f1 with only 2 teams with any chance of winning and a small field etc, Rally is nowhere to be found on the telly and is pretty much a shadow of its former glory. WTTC leaves a lot to be desired, especially since the cars and speed are uninspiring, as well as the drivers. GT series looked promising in 2013 but a bunch of amatuer drivers mixed with some good ones, inconsistent broadcast schedule and some really shaky regs means that the series still needs some maturity. IRL...please. NASCAR only when I need the TV on in the background while I take long sunday summer naps, only waking up for the last caution and green/white checker.

So its F1 for me.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Definitely recommended. There is nothing quite like it. You don't get views like this at Silverstone. For party atmosphere, mind-boggling speeds and general craziness you can't beat the TT. But also consider the Classic TT/Manx GP in August - still great to watch, but more laid-back, much easier to get ferry bookings, tables in restaurants, good viewing spots etc. Where does your cousin live?
    Yeah its something I have wanted to do for years and have promised to go but never organised anything. My cousin lives on a farm off the A1 but not sure exactly where. Its on quite a fast section apparently. The classic TT sounds good and perhaps I will try and do the main TT first and hopefully get an invite back.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    I don't like the direction F1 has been going over the last few years. Hopefully they will come to their senses and put it right. Unfortunately I have this addiction, and I can't see myself 12 stepping F1, so I will continue to watch, and enjoy.
    that's how I feel too.
    many things in F1 worry me, and I've tried to kick the habit. even in 2013 with the vettel/RBR borefest i hung on bravely to watch each race. Perhap hoping for a miracle or perhaps being a fool ,who knows. I've watched f1 for over 30 years now and the only period where I really didn't watch it were the 2000-2004 years. Yes, the broadcasting situation is somewhat ridiculous, and I have resigned myself to "other means" to watch it. But I still get a some pleasure out of watching the races and the race starts still make me super nervous and on the edge of my seat.

I simply find it hard to let go, and frankly there isn't another series that brings me the same pleasure. Maybe if LMP1 cars had an expanded series with shorter races and more teams, but still maintained LeMans24h then perhaps i might focus on that. I do love those LMP1 cars though, but can't see myself dedicating an entire day to watch those races on a consistent basis. MotoGP is in even worse shape than f1 with only 2 teams with any chance of winning and a small field etc, Rally is nowhere to be found on the telly and is pretty much a shadow of its former glory. WTTC leaves a lot to be desired, especially since the cars and speed are uninspiring, as well as the drivers. GT series looked promising in 2013 but a bunch of amatuer drivers mixed with some good ones, inconsistent broadcast schedule and some really shaky regs means that the series still needs some maturity. IRL...please. NASCAR only when I need the TV on in the background while I take long sunday summer naps, only waking up for the last caution and green/white checker.

So its F1 for me.
    Rally is on itv4, bt sport and motors tv... two british drivers in factory cars, engines sound similar now aswell, that force indias nose is ridiculous and i cant keep a straight face when looking at the caterham..