Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Re: 2014 Pre-Season Testing

Caterham have shut down for the day as well. Still they have done some decent running compared to Red Bull
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Red Bull's packaging may be tight (when it hasn't been the case with Newey?), but since all Renault-engined cars seem to be in trouble, there is clearly a bigger issue going on with Renault powerplants.

Personally I believe Red Bull's aerodynamics and chassis in general is top-notch, so if they have a bad season, it will be down to the engine. Like Ferrari's 2005 was largely attributed to Bridgestone tyres, as in 2006, when they got 'competitive' tyres, Ferrari was up there again.
    I don't think you can simplify things like that and blame Renault. Today one Renault powered team has done more laps than every Renault powered car in the whole week up till now and there isn't a single red bovine on the car.

All the teams were provided information about the packaging and cooling needs of the powertrain and only one has used the information sufficiently well to allow its car to run, but the fact that one team has got it right indicates that the powertrain itself is not the sole issue.

It also sounds like RBR in particular left the development and construction of the current car very late indeed which compounded the problems, I think a large chunk of the blame has to be laid at Milton Keynes' door.

I'm sure if/when the RBR runs it will be very quick indeed but Newey has always sacrificed reliability for speed with extremely tight packaging that puts an extra strain on components. Putting KERS next to the gearbox in previous years may have helped aero packaging but it hurt reliability badly, just ask Webber... Thats the risk you run by pushing the envelope so far isn't it?
    Ted's second notebook for the first test featured a Q&A with Renault - they had some advisories on turbo 'knocking' that can destroy the engine. Looking at the time sheets, it is very clear that the Renault wick is turned lower that a tarts knickers!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote=dj_bytedisaster]
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_max2k2":2za6e0eb
    Mercedes is looking good, and I'm happy for RB, even if its a bit unsporting, but I'd love to see Vettel in sort of a Ferrari 2005 situation, and see how good he really is.
    The 2005 Ferrari didn't have an engine that the manufacturer limited to 250km, less than the distance of the shortes GP of the year (Monaco), so that comparison is a wee bit flawed. Word is that Renault needs at least 20 weeks to sort the thing out, which I would say is catastrophic news for Fake!Lotus and Caterham.-[/quote:2za6e0eb]

No its not flawed really, it was one component of the car that caused a lot of issues. The point really was if Red Bull do end up having a poor car and it does finish races, we'll get to see how well Seb can push the car by himself.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I don't think you can simplify things like that and blame Renault. Today one Renault powered team has done more laps than every Renault powered car in the whole week up till now and there isn't a single red bovine on the car.

All the teams were provided information about the packaging and cooling needs of the powertrain and only one has used the information sufficiently well to allow its car to run, but the fact that one team has got it right indicates that the powertrain itself is not the sole issue.

It also sounds like RBR in particular left the development and construction of the current car very late indeed which compounded the problems, I think a large chunk of the blame has to be laid at Milton Keynes' door.

I'm sure if/when the RBR runs it will be very quick indeed but Newey has always sacrificed reliability for speed with extremely tight packaging that puts an extra strain on components. Putting KERS next to the gearbox in previous years may have helped aero packaging but it hurt reliability badly, just ask Webber... Thats the risk you run by pushing the envelope so far isn't it?
    Caterham was running with engine well down on power and the way they have designed the car, it looks like it is most conservative design with huge sidepods, etc. It could enable them to be a bit more reliable, but on the other hand not much speed can be expected from that.

Anyway, yes, how the engine exactly works in a car, depends on the characteristics in each car itself, but generally Renault has more problems than other engines. Four Mercedes-powered teams were all at the sharp end of timesheets and racked up lots of laps, while Renault-teams were nowhere and Lotus wasn't even there - perhaps they knew that the engine was problematic and their package wasn't ready for the test? I think that's the real reason.

Coincidence? Don't think so. I think Renault is currently behind on reliability stakes and I very much doubt any of the Mercedes teams would like to switch their powerplant for the Renault one.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

LAPS COMPLETED
    DRIVERS

1. Nico ROSBERG ........ 188
    2. Fernando ALONSO ........ 173
    3. Kevin MAGNUSSEN ........ 161
    4. Felipe MASSA ........ 133
    5. Lewis HAMILTON ........ 111
    6. Adrian SUTIL ........ 103
    7. Daniel JUNCADELLA ........ 81 *
    8. Kimi RAIKKONEN ......... 78
    9. Esteban GUTIERREZ ........ 60
    10. Kamui KOBAYASHI ........ 54
    ----------------------------------------------
    18. Sebastian VETTEL ........ 11

TEAMS

1. Mercedes ........ 299
    2. Ferrari ........ 251
    3. McLaren ........ 201
    4. Williams ........ 175
    5. Sauber ........ 163
    6. Force India ........ 146
    7. Caterham ........ 76
    8. Toro Rosso ........ 53
    9. Marussia ........ 30
    10. Red Bull ........ 21

ENGINES

1. Mercedes ........ 821
    2. Ferrari ........ 444
    3. Renault ........ 150
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Om another note, I read that TJ13 link dj posted.

In it, the writer said he was standing around turn 5(?) when Gutierrez went off. Shortly after, a car pulled up and ol' one ear* was driving, then ol' one eye* hopped out and snapped a load of pictures of the Sauber's rear.

*with thanks to Doc/Taz
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

A good time today by Bianchi in the Marussia, only 4s off the pace despite it only running a day and a half at this test.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i_max2k2

No its not flawed really, it was one component of the car that caused a lot of issues. The point really was if Red Bull do end up having a poor car and it does finish races, we'll get to see how well Seb can push the car by himself.
    The word 'push' will most likely be gone from most people's vocabulary by the third race. This is from today's interview with Nico Rosberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Rosberg
    The driveability with the turbo is still a bit of an adventure. It will take some time until we have it in a good range. When I took to the car on day 2 I could run many, seemingly problem free kilometers, but in reality it was a constant struggle. We couldn't get heat into the tyres and we barely managed GP2 pace.
    I would like to go faster than last year, but that's not going to happen. That's the downside of 2014. The strategy will play a much bigger role with the new rules, but we're not luxury passengers in the cars.
    If the team radio fails, it will not be good. It's almost science to work out, when to overtake and when to conserve fuels, so that you make it to the end.
    source : Motorsport Total (German)
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RS
    A good time today by Bianchi in the Marussia, only 4s off the pace despite it only running a day and a half at this test.
    8 seconds off the fastest time of the week despite doing just 25 laps in 2 days on a track with changeable conditions, that is extremely promising
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I like that info about Marussia's times. They had a pretty tough start, but hopefully some reasons to be cheerful for the team.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy