Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Liked 244 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    You still speak about top class drivers but that's not the point. The rally isn't only top guys. How about all those cheap FWD, old gr.N cars etc.? Look at it from ERC promoter view. Why shall it hold an event somewhere where the locals don't take part? Hell, even in Acores which are tiny islands somewhere in the middle of nowhere there were 23 Portuguese crews on start of the ERC event (there is also national rally along which I don't count). Portugal is small and clearly isn't rich country but their drivers still start.

I do speak about bigger picture. As I said before why the promoter shall hold an ERC event in a country where local crews don't take part in THAT ERC event? For sake of tradition and great stages? Maybe yes but it's very sad to say the least. The same about Acropolis. I believe You that the rally was success among public but it needs more or at least it shall bring more. There is 68 million of people living on The Islands which are among the richest countries in the world. Why 10 million tiny countries like Belgium or Czech republic can have 3x more starters, not even speaking about 5 millions of Finns?
    + 10 !!!! very well said Mirek!!!
    Juha Kankkunen: "The speed was o.K., but the corner was to tight"
    Marcus Grönholm: "... tell corrado .... three gears are enough..! "

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I do speak about bigger picture. As I said before why the promoter shall hold an ERC event in a country where local crews don't take part in THAT ERC event? For sake of tradition and great stages? Maybe yes but it's very sad to say the least. The same about Acropolis. I believe You that the rally was success among public but it needs more or at least it shall bring more. There is 68 million of people living on The Islands which are among the richest countries in the world. Why 10 million tiny countries like Belgium or Czech republic can have 3x more starters, not even speaking about 5 millions of Finns?
    As for The Islands they have got 3 drivers in F1 and some teams based in UK. Why should they bother to follow rallies? Just have a look at Autosport and sometimes there is no single news from rally world and 80% F1 content, the rest other circuit racing.

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
    Mirek;993372]You still speak about top class drivers but that's not the point. The rally isn't only top guys. How about all those cheap FWD, old gr.N cars etc.? Look at it from ERC promoter view. Why shall it hold an event somewhere where the locals don't take part? Hell, even in Acores which are tiny islands somewhere in the middle of nowhere there were 23 Portuguese crews on start of the ERC event (there is also national rally along which I don't count). Portugal is small and clearly isn't rich country but their drivers still start.

Homologated older stuff of which you speak isnt that common here unfortunately. Rallying has shrunk so far in the eyes of the general public it really is hard to accept. It used to be huge and the Circuit of Ireland was the biggest motorsport event in Ireland by far. 25 odd years of being stuck in a trap between the Irish and British championships brought the event down, it almost disappeared in the late 00's, to have seen what Bobby Willis and his team achieved this year was inspiring.
    I honestly think given a chance in the ERC the Circuit can be a great event for them and they together can help the sport on this island at least.
    I'm glad it was the Circuit of Ireland that Bobby decided to get behind I think the decline of the event in the past years and the emergence on an Irish level of Killarney(couple of weeks later) would certainly have hurt the event in terms of entries. Also a Rally Ireland was well supported particularly in 07, I know a lot of drivers further back in the order didnt feel they got much back from it.

Small picture here, a bloke running on a shoe string at the back of the ERC field, what does the ERC give back to him?

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts
    PSA has much work to do.. With This Malcolm could get the First 100 orders fast..

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Comedy gold. Some crews are back in ERC field

47 crews started in ERC. What is important is that Salvi, Meireles and Lopez are running ERC event. Good addition to the competition.
    Actually someone (international stewards?) has create confusion over the ‘national event’ issue, because there was no need to make separate classifications, as it was seen in last Portugal Rally.

All local crews (apart the last 5 ones, separately listed over nº70) drive cars under FIA regs and were entitled to enter the entire rally, even if the Portuguese and Azorean championships retain only the 1st leg results.

After today local crews with smaller budgets will leave the rally, others will try to get the final podium but won’t get any championship points advantage.

Overall, 28 national crews under the 54 ERC field started the rally and 17 local crews are between the 32 first leg finishers. The leaders are Portugal (winning) made material and between the top 5 we’ve 3 Portuguese crews (6 over the top 10). Not bad for a local representation!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nornbugger View Post
    Small picture here, a bloke running on a shoe string at the back of the ERC field, what does the ERC give back to him?
    Really good question. Why some rallies never lack dozens of these "nobodies"? Why ordinary drivers dream about taking part in some and don't even think about others? In my opinion this is what makes the best events what they are. Seriously if the drivers don't want to take part themselves something is wrong - either in the championship, country or whatever.

Imagine what would happen if people could drive same race as Vettel or Rossi, to fight with their idols on the same road? That's what also differs rallying from other forms of motorsport and why it has always been a kind of motorsport for masses. Those masses are smaller and smaller every year while there is more and more people and cars in the world. That shows our sport in serious trouble. Thinking that only those big boys create the big picture of rallying is one of main reasons why we are where we are.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Gutted for Breen.

Peugeot this isnt acceptable, new car or not.
    Now we have reached the time when PSA need to get a top team together to sort out the R5s. The WTCC car is working, these are not! Focus - Fix!!

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts
    Many people here complain that rallying is not really accepted here. But in Many countries soccer and cycling are more important. In our TAC rally we reached the limit of 150 entrants. In Ypres it will be probably the Same but it will be fifty with foreign and national crews. One of the strongest entries of the season. We cant complain in Belgium IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    From PLuto (he is in service):

Magalhaes (overheating), Abbring (power-steering), Consani (broken wheel) and Costenaro (puncture and no spare left) all reached service.

I hope Magalhaes will continue today saturday and preserve his 5th place

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts