Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlenis
    what are they doing in F1 ? lets see.

Barichello is having a ball beating Button
    Trulli and Ralf are still trying to figure out who is better then the other while thinking they are the best drivers behind Alonso and Kimi.
    DC is collecting a paycheck and just having fun traveling around.

They belong in the good-quality-driver-but-nothing-special-who deserved-to-win-a-few-races category.

They were WDC contenders at the very most and were no match for Alonso, Schumi or Hakkinen in a WDC fight.

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    The question is not why these guys want to be in F1. That's a no-brainer. The question is why the teams want them in F1.

What is it that these grey-beards have that the baby-faced 20ish crowd don't have? Experience is the obvious answer but is has to be more than that. Trulli has won one race in 10 years of F1 racing. Fisichella has won 3. Why do big budget teams like Toyota and Renault keep hiring these guys when there are younger, faster and cheaper options available?

I think it's because these young guys might be fast and cheap but they're not better than the old guys. Atleast, not yet. Put it this way. If Montoya hadn't had a hissy fit and buggered off and if Kimi hadn't got sick of driving Mercedes-powered handgrenades then Hamilton would not be on the grid today. Nor would Kovalainen if Alonso had stuck with Renault.

The teams at the pointy end of the grid, with the odd exception, simply don't want to babysit a young driver. That's what the midfield and backmarker teams are for. The only reason Kimi got his drive with McLaren was because Hakkinen got bored and retired. I doubt ol' Ron would have replaced Coulthard with Raikkonen if Mika had stayed.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I had to put my two cents in.

The reason "some" young drivers are capable of stepping right into F1 nowerdays has more to do with the drivers than the cars. Beleive me, with the exception of stick shifting ( which some might argue is a huge factor, and I won't challenge that) driving an F1 car today has gotten a bit more challenging than 15-20 years ago. With all the buttons on the steering wheel, the increased speed, the more precise braking, and all the communication, tire management, engine management, etc, driving an F1 car today basically requires more than just raw talent. The dedication of these drivers today and their 24/7/365 approach to the sport has groomed them into more proficient driving specimens than in the 70's and 80's and early 90's. Yes it may make them a bit more robotic and less instinctive ( but that's where the exceptional talents of Hamilton Alonso and Raikkonen come in) but they are infinately better prepared for driving an F1 car. The rigors of a full season from a physical, mental and experience factor is what, only driving in F1, they can learn.
    ...And that brings me to the Experienced drivers. I have absolutely no problem with an older driver racing in Formula 1. As long as they get the job done then more power to them. With the exception of Hamilton and sometimes Rosberg and Kubica, most of these young drivers have not shown me that they deserve a race seat aboove their senior counterparts. There are so many nuances in F1 that only expereince can provide. And in all honesty, they say that a race car drivers best years are between 30-40.
    I personally don't want to see a bunch of junior, inexpereinced drivers running around circuits trying to learn them on Friday and then underperforming on Sunday. Bring them in slowly like they always did, nurture their career and prepare them adequately for the race seat as the older ones fade off. Out of all the older drivers out there, Only DC in my mind is about ready to be replaced, with barrichello to follow suit in a year or two. Until they go, they still provide valuable insight to the team and occasionaly harness the max out of the cars that some of the younger drivers might get frustrated with.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    I think the value of experience may change somewhat next year with the end of traction control.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greencroft
    I think the value of experience may change somewhat next year with the end of traction control.
    Then we'll see who the good old guys are - the ones who can remember what it's like not having traction control. It should be a good way of finding out just how good the young guys like Hamilton really are too. (I'd expect Lewis to be just as impressive, if not more so).
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
    is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools:grenade:

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Some of the drivers like Webber have warned the public not to expect the ban of traction control to change things much, if anything at all!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Apart from when it's a wet race, I don't think we will notice a big difference, but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitraF1
    Barichello, coulthard,ralf,trulli, they race so many years,whats left to prove? waiting for the best team to catch them?no way and they know that...
    they like publicity? they like money?they like driving?i see absolutely nothing to gain so many years ,ok they won some races but thats it! now what?

They want to drive in F1 cause they love driving, mind you that not everyone can be a champion. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports, just being in F1 is already a huge thing for drivers. By your logic we would have English premiership with 2-3 teams since the rest of teams do not stand a chance.....why bother??
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    DC wouldnt have got a drive is Senna hadnt of died...

Schumacher got his chance when Bertrand Gachot attacked that taxi driver....

You can go on and on about why people have got drivesin F1. The key in my opinion is to be fast, have lost of money and be damn lucky!
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    You can go on and on about why people have got drivesin F1. The key in my opinion is to be fast, have lost of money and be damn lucky!
    I agree. There's so much talent out there, that talent isn't enough. Many need a stroke of luck to get them into F1, or failing that, a lot of money.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Hhmmmm.... the average age for drivers is getting younger in all series of racing.

The day of the grizzled veteran... with his experience and craftiness, is quickly passing. Youngsters today are starting in carts... sometimes before grade school. Before the age of 20... the good drivers have been identified and signed. The really good ones are just a step away from an F-1 ride.

IMO... we are now looking at F-1 drivers retiring at ~ 36 or being pushed out by a younger driver.