Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Now drivers have hardly got over 30 and even if they are not partered by a rookie, who matches (or is at least close to) them, they are still disliked in some way.
    BMW are quite a good example. Ok, JV came as part of the deal and we all know the pro's & con's of his career, but he was doing a reasonable job. However BMW had Kubica waiting in the wings. So they replace JV with Kubica. Now it's Heidfeld under pressure because BMW have another of their own young drivers - Sebastian Vettel - waiting to take his place.

Nothing against Kubica or Vettel, because they both seem to be talented young prospects, but the average age of F1 drivers is falling - it fell from 28yrs last year to 27yrs this year - while the value put on experience seems to be falling as well.

The reason? Are the cars easier to drive so the step up to F1 is not as hard, or as much of a learning process as it once was? Is it simply a case that younger = cheaper for the team owners? Or are the youngsters more 'attractive' from a PR/marketing perspective?

If I were Sebastian Vettel, or a driver in his position, I'd be worried about the longevity of my career, because there are far more young drivers than F1 drives, and impressive youngsters appear every year for team owners to sign up as "test drivers".

One good thing about this is we may see other racing series thrive as discarded drivers, young and old, look to something other than F1.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

The reason? Are the cars easier to drive so the step up to F1 is not as hard
    That's the reason IMO.
    Formula 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    That's the reason IMO.
    That, combined with the computers and telemetry, so there is probably less input needed by the driver to setup the car.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If people are prepared to pay me to drive an F1 car...

I'd hang around as long as possible!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have mixed feelings about this, I mean let's put Barrichello and Coulthard, the oldest guys in F1, both combined have more wins than Alonso, and even more wins than Hakkinen, Rubens 9, David 13, anyway I'm not a numbers-man, but questions come to mind.

maybe we should think, how long it is a reasonable time to see if an F1 driver it's gonna make it or not?, Trulli has been in F1 for too long and never did anything, but at least he has the justification if he gets sacked that he has more than 30, but a guy like Klien who is not even 25, he's washed out, just because he drove a crappy Red Bull and Jaguar?, I Know I know F1 isn't about fairness but, come on.

Maybe that's the only thing Alonso and Kimi did wrong to F1, being so good so young...
    Eau Rouge@Spa-Francorchamps

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    what are they doing in F1 ? lets see.

Barichello is having a ball beating Button
    Trulli and Ralf are still trying to figure out who is better then the other while thinking they are the best drivers behind Alonso and Kimi.
    DC is collecting a paycheck and just having fun traveling around.

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    F1 is just a means to sports and touringcars as that's where most of the ex F1 pilots go. Or NASCAR. Kinda lika a feeder series.
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarF1
    Trulli has been in F1 for too long and never did anything, but at least he has the justification if he gets sacked that he has more than 30, but a guy like Klien who is not even 25, he's washed out, just because he drove a crappy Red Bull and Jaguar?, I Know I know F1 isn't about fairness but, come on.
    As for "lack of achievements", then unlike other experienced guys (R. Schumacher, Barrichello, Fisichella and Coulthard) Trulli has never driven a car with championship title potential! That's why the full extent of his abilities hasn't come properly out during his career.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erki
    F1 is just a means to sports and touringcars as that's where most of the ex F1 pilots go. Or NASCAR. Kinda lika a feeder series.
    That's ONE way of putting it !!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erki
    That's ONE way of putting it !!!