Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I knew this too.

I do remember F1 Racing did an article covering his driving technique in the late 90s. They had access to data from the Belgium GP.

Schumi uses that technique on the mid to hi-speed corners where he taps the brakes and 'caresses' the throttle at mid-corner. (The article mentioned Pouhon and Stavelot where he impressively used this technique)

It was in the low speed, hairpin-type corners such as La Source,where Schumi braked awefully deep, point the car onto the apex and slam the throttle. In the low speed corners you're having to rely more on mechanical grip rather than aero.

I'm pretty sure he was trail-braking.

Seriously, I'm not making any of this up. In the mid-late 90s I was absolutely fascinated by Schumi's technique, I wanted to understand why he was regarded as superior.

Sadly I've thrown this particular issue away so it would help if any of you have back issues!

Hey Wedge, this is one of the better discussions we've seen on this site... on driver technique.

You are correct... extremely low speed corners like hairpins... are the exception. These guys will trail brake from corner entry until they have rotated the car... usually just before the apex... then they jump on the throttle... using the aid of traction control... and accelerate to the track out position. Aero falls of rapidly as you reduce speed, so there's not much/if any, aero downforce in low speed hairpin's. Low speed corners bring out the advantage of using "lift-throttle oversteer", you accomplish car rotation without scrubbing off the speed you lose in trail braking. The margin of error when using lift throttle over-steer is very small.

Next year, if the FIA forces the removal of traction control, we are likely to see great improvement with some drivers, others will have their hands full... trying to keep from spinning... or they will be Dog Slow.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trumperZ06
    Hey Wedge, this is one of the better discussions we've seen on this site... on driver technique.

You are correct... extremely low speed corners like hairpins... are the exception. These guys will trail brake from corner entry until they have rotated the car... usually just before the apex... then they jump on the throttle... using the aid of traction control... and accelerate to the track out position. Aero falls of rapidly as you reduce speed, so there's not much/if any, aero downforce in low speed hairpin's. Low speed corners bring out the advantage of using "lift-throttle oversteer", you accomplish car rotation without scrubbing off the speed you lose in trail braking. The margin of error when using lift throttle over-steer is very small.

Next year, if the FIA forces the removal of traction control, we are likely to see great improvement with some drivers, others will have their hands full... trying to keep from spinning... or they will be Dog Slow.
    Thanks to Schumi I have great interest in driving techniques!

I would've thought lift-oversteer has a great margin of error because you need tremendous car control and quick reflexes. Mansell taught himself this technique because he always had poor equipment when he rose up the motorsport ladder. He would usually set the car up with little rear wing as possible and hussle the car into the corners. Mansell has been regarded as having tremendous reflexes and upper body strength which was why he could handle a car on the absolute limit.

And yes I can't wait for next year!

Matt Bishop mentions how Lewis Hamilton was taught by his father how to brake as late as possible in his karting days. Anthony Hamilton would stand on the edge of the track and Lewis would use his dad as his braking point and Lewis would learn car control under braking/decelaration!

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/do...1700_40_st.mp3

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Wedge, I think we are confused by a common language.... English.

"The margin of error when using lift thottle over-steer is very small"...

My meaning is that you have to be damn near perfect... when using lift throttle over-steer... which is why it's almost always only used in slow/low speed corners.