Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Two horse race already?

Race one saw dominance by Ferrari, with MacLaren the only ones alble to maintain a similar pace. Race two has seen a similar story, with the roles reversed. A consistant but hardly championship challenging performance from BMW, a marked improvement from Williams but only as far as midfield, the rapid deteriation of Honda and Renault and the stagnation of Toyota and Red Bull.

All this has left me with the feeling, despite it only being two races into the new season, that it will be between MacLaren and Ferrari this year. I don't foresee any of the others making a significant enough developement in performance to challenge either team.

Still at least we have a two-way battle.
    :ninja: silent and deadly :ninja:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I tend to agree. Renault have hardly made an eyecatching start to the season. Honda....erm, not too sure what to say about them. I am wondering though if Nick Heidfeld may well sneak in some poles and an occasional win somewhere. He seems to be driving confidently.

I don't mind it being a two way battle when you have the likes of Alonso and Raikkonen though
    Flonkkkk.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Yep, just like in 2006, 2005, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994 etc.

What is different about it? The only exception in the last say 15yrs is that in 1992, 1993, 2002 & 2004 there was only ONE team in with the hunt of the title - even worse and more boring! So apart from 2003, where Williams McLaren and Ferrari were fighting, it always is a two horse race isn't it? It doesn't conclude it will be a dull season, unless you've found most of the championships dull. Though 2003 was a great season, as there were so many teams who could compete at the top, even if it was marred a bit by the Michelin controversy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I expect BMW to play an important role in the championship as they'll take away some vital points.

But, yes mainly a two horse battle. (make it four since both tems have very capable drivers)
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i think that ferrari will dominate ,mclaren will win 2-3 races more

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Yeah, during the last couple of decades it really has been one- or a two (three at best) horse races...

I wonder whether once comes a day, when early 80s come back - a five horse race! Oh, we can only dream about it at the moment...

And I also wonder, how was it then possible to have so many top teams (Brabham, Renault, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and also some others occasionally challenged for top positions) and why has something like that never repeated again?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    And I also wonder, how was it then possible to have so many top teams (Brabham, Renault, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and also some others occasionally challenged for top positions) and why has something like that never repeated again?
    Money, stable regulations, different expectations...I guess they all play a part. Money isn't everything - look at Toyota - but it helps with the development of the car.
    Flonkkkk.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Yeah, during the last couple of decades it really has been one- or a two (three at best) horse races...

I wonder whether once comes a day, when early 80s come back - a five horse race! Oh, we can only dream about it at the moment...

I'm sure there will be a year of competition like 1983 or, even better, 1982 again. Though it would have to be down to lots of teams getting it "wrong" with reliability issues so as more teams can be closer to the top.

It has happened recently in other racing categories in recent years though.

In the 2001 World Rally Championship there was 8 different event winners in the 14 rounds of the championship, with 4 drivers in contention for the championship at the final round.

So it's not impossible, but highly unlikely, considering the amount of money teams spend these days.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm hoping for a close two-way scrap between McLaren and Ferrari. Hopefully, teams like BMW and maybe Williams will be able to trouble the leaders on certain circuits. I also predict (whilst bracing myself for ridicule) that Honda will be competing for podiums in the final 3rd of the season.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlMetro
    Race one saw dominance by Ferrari, with MacLaren the only ones alble to maintain a similar pace. Race two has seen a similar story, with the roles reversed. A consistant but hardly championship challenging performance from BMW, a marked improvement from Williams but only as far as midfield, the rapid deteriation of Honda and Renault and the stagnation of Toyota and Red Bull.

All this has left me with the feeling, despite it only being two races into the new season, that it will be between MacLaren and Ferrari this year. I don't foresee any of the others making a significant enough developement in performance to challenge either team.

Still at least we have a two-way battle.
    It must be said that I would prefer to see 8 different teams win in a season to make it more interesting. Maybe we need the reverse grid system to liven it up a bit.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.