Page 321 of 439 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331371421 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 4386
    Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martins Tolks View Post
    Sardinia maybe?
    Sardinia already has contract for 2016 though...but might very well be in danger for 2017 as the promoter want's to get rid of the island-based events for logistical reasons.

Therefore I strongly believe the event that will be dropped from the 3 currently without a guaranteed place in the calendar (Portugal, Germany, Corsica) will be Tour de Corse. Firstly, it wasn't even supposed to be in WRC for 2015, secondly it is an island-based event and thirdly it has no guaranteed financing in place for the future. Also the rumored October date for the China Rally would fit right in the current slot of Corsica.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    The 2016 contracts don't count too much.
    It's just an agreement with the promoter but it is not confirmed officialy by the FIA. So Sardinia is in danger as well as other rounds like Portugal and France.

I fear it will be Corsica to leave and we will have one less tarmac rally which is a real shame. I hope they will do something about it.

If one has to leave that should be Mexico in my opinion.

Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    The 2016 contracts don't count too much.
    It's just an agreement with the promoter but it is not confirmed officialy by the FIA. So Sardinia is in danger as well as other rounds like Portugal and France.

I fear it will be Corsica to leave and we will have one less tarmac rally which is a real shame. I hope they will do something about it.

If one has to leave that should be Mexico in my opinion.
    I believe China would be a tarmac round. So it's not a loss there.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [WRCRR] View Post
    Sardinia already has contract for 2016 though...but might very well be in danger for 2017 as the promoter want's to get rid of the island-based events for logistical reasons.

Therefore I strongly believe the event that will be dropped from the 3 currently without a guaranteed place in the calendar (Portugal, Germany, Corsica) will be Tour de Corse. Firstly, it wasn't even supposed to be in WRC for 2015, secondly it is an island-based event and thirdly it has no guaranteed financing in place for the future. Also the rumored October date for the China Rally would fit right in the current slot of Corsica.
    Italy is 3rd or 4th biggest WRC+ market, one of "giants" of Europe in terms of car market and manufacturing, lots of privateers, and Sardinia is 5 times bigger than Corsica in terms of population, furthermore Alghero is Sardinia's biggest tourism destination, while Cagliari area is a big town of 500.000 people. Last but not least, Italy has an ASN very powerful at the FIA.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    I believe China would be a tarmac round. So it's not a loss there.
    It seems it will be gravel instead (and unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsportfun View Post
    Italy is 3rd or 4th biggest WRC+ market, one of "giants" of Europe in terms of car market and manufacturing, lots of privateers, and Sardinia is 5 times bigger than Corsica in terms of population, furthermore Alghero is Sardinia's biggest tourism destination, while Cagliari area is a big town of 500.000 people. Last but not least, Italy has an ASN very powerful at the FIA.
    Didn't now Italy was a big wrc+ market. Where did you find that statistics?

I would just make some clarifications on what you said. Alghero is one of the biggest destination but not the biggest. Olbia's area for example is bigger. Car market is dying in Italy (as well as other european states) and Fiat, now FCA, is no more a proper italian company. People are buying only secondhand cars. On that side Italy is not that giant anymore although still an important nation.

But you are right overall, I think the good "relationship" with FIA has been crucial till now and will be in the future. Sardinia will be most likely confirmed for 2016.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Didn't now Italy was a big wrc+ market. Where did you find that statistics?
    I downloaded Rally Emotion app (magazine) and read an interview to Oliver Ciesla

7. Likes: AL14 (19th August 2015)
    Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    For anyone interested in the rallying around Huairou, Beijing, here are links to my pictures from last years event. Unfortunately I have to work and get ready for Rally Australia to prevent me attending this year.

Currently a hard concrete surface on these roads but most likely will change to a gravel event because all the long haul equipment transported to Mexico, Argentina and Australia is set up for gravel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1138650...eat=directlink

There are few hotels, close to the current service park, but near the Super Special on day 1, there are many resorts, such as the one used for last years APEC meeting in Beijing. However this is about 60-80km from the current stages.

Rumours from China suggest using roads in Zhangjiakou and Yanqing (new home for the Winter Olympics) as well as Huairou and Miyun, across the north of Beijing. Similar to the way the cycling Tour of Beijing used to run.

Sponsor for this event is believed to be from http://www.letv.com, a major local internet media company.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    If China is going to be gravel, WRC has a serious problem with just 1 pure tarmac round.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

10. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (19th August 2015)
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [WRCRR] View Post

I don't understand the promoter sometimes. Get off your lazy asses and do your jobs. It is logistically difficult? Well buuhuu for you...
    Italy and France are two of the biggest nations for rally in europe with big, competetive and thriving national championships. They also have a lot of prominent and active rally media. Most of rally following comes from those two. Corsica is a classic and dare to do things differently. Sardegna has become a modern classic and can't be dropped from the schedule.

'Tis a massive shame that we can't extend the calendar (I assume team economy is the issue).

Australia is not my absolute favorite but I am against dropping that because it wouldn't be a world championship if we didn't go outside europe!

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    I don't understand the promoter sometimes. Get off your lazy asses and do your jobs. It is logistically difficult? Well buuhuu for you...
    Italy and France are two of the biggest nations for rally in europe with big, competetive and thriving national championships. They also have a lot of prominent and active rally media. Most of rally following comes from those two. Corsica is a classic and dare to do things differently. Sardegna has become a modern classic and can't be dropped from the schedule.

'Tis a massive shame that we can't extend the calendar (I assume team economy is the issue).

Australia is not my absolute favorite but I am against dropping that because it wouldn't be a world championship if we didn't go outside europe!
    It is not logistics but the sheer cost of having a long haul tarmac event. The extra spares and gear needed would break the budget for many privateers in WRC2 or WRC3. They are already having to run two separate cars, one in Europe and one circling the globe without the need for a third tarmac car for a single event. WRC factory teams could possibly afford it but you do need more entries than them.

The only saving grace for a tarmac round in China could be a fast freight train, currently only 14-16 days (a third of the sea voyage) across Russia etc to China. Maybe the Chinese will help fund teams to transport their gear overland but I doubt it. By the way, BMW send engines this way to their Chinese factories.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"