Page 180 of 439 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 4386
    Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardy View Post
    its a shame there's no safari rally anymore
    It is very easy - Safar Rally was very, very expensive for everybody. Rally cars used there were completely different from other events. And in this days it is nonsense to build one special car for only one rally...

2. Likes: cardy (8th December 2014)
    Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    LOL... worthless...
    Yeah, none of those drivers are even close to the "greatest driver of all times" (sic).

Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    But what does it mean? With modern technology they fear a real challenge. We should have one round. In Africa. its world rally Championship not European rally championship. just my opinion though ,so I can go see wrc before I die

5. Likes: Andre Oliveira (8th December 2014),Sch17 (8th December 2014)
    Liked 94 Times in 58 Posts
    the Safari Rally as wel as Ivory Coast Rally were on public roads as I recall, impossible in 21st century; let alone to organize a state of the art WC rally with the existing African infra stucture would be very very difficult.

I don't like the attitude here of the old rally heroes compared with the ones we have today, making comparisons with 10 to 20 years difference is impossible and waste of time. Respect for the old heroes and a healthy look at the future suits me better.

7. Likes: dimviii (8th December 2014),dodge33cymru (8th December 2014),janvanvurpa (8th December 2014),PLuto (8th December 2014)
    Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    I say the Polo-tank can cope with the african terrain with no further modifications

9. Likes: Sch17 (8th December 2014)
    Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ounin View Post
    the Safari Rally as wel as Ivory Coast Rally were on public roads as I recall, impossible in 21st century; let alone to organize a state of the art WC rally with the existing African infra stucture would be very very difficult. .
    It's not difficult to run a WRC event in South Africa, we have the infrastructure, the problem is our candidate events are always badly organised because certain individuals who put themselves into positions of power mess the organisors around and cause the event to be a complete flop. The recent attempt in 2012 was a complete shambles because of their interference and I know that because I have close ties to the organising committee. They forced the event to go to an area that had never been used in rallying before and blocked off the local townships - no surprise then that security was impossible on the event.

We have some very good stages around the Durban area that could run a WRC easily with the current cars (our S2000 & S1600 cars handle it just fine and most of them are standard from Europe) and make it a great event. I do know that the FIA wanted an "African-looking" event which our sugarcane fields and forests don't really look like but if everyone left the organisers alone to make the event the best that they can according to what we have then it's possible to do a great event.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

11. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (19th December 2014),Sch17 (8th December 2014)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS007 View Post
    Yeah, none of those drivers are even close to the "greatest driver of all times" (sic).
    Apart from that, safari was an event where luck was a far more important factor than driving to win it, it would be nice to have it back, but that badly photoshopped poster is nonsense.

13. Likes: dimviii (8th December 2014)
    Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D View Post
    It's not difficult to run a WRC event in South Africa, we have the infrastructure, the problem is our candidate events are always badly organised because certain individuals who put themselves into positions of power mess the organisors around and cause the event to be a complete flop. The recent attempt in 2012 was a complete shambles because of their interference and I know that because I have close ties to the organising committee. They forced the event to go to an area that had never been used in rallying before and blocked off the local townships - no surprise then that security was impossible on the event.

We have some very good stages around the Durban area that could run a WRC easily with the current cars (our S2000 & S1600 cars handle it just fine and most of them are standard from Europe) and make it a great event. I do know that the FIA wanted an "African-looking" event which our sugarcane fields and forests don't really look like but if everyone left the organisers alone to make the event the best that they can according to what we have then it's possible to do a great event.
    Yeah, one day close to the Dragon mountains with remote service in Pietermaritzburg and next days North from Durban (from Hlimbitwa river until Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve). Very nice roads apart from a few rough sections on the mountains. I explored many of those roads with small rental car (Toyota Corolla) back in April :-)
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    Apart from that, safari was an event where luck was a far more important factor than driving to win it, it would be nice to have it back, but that badly photoshopped poster is nonsense.
    When it's tough You need a bit of luck that's true. Strong car can help You a lot, bit not all the time. Mastering the environmental difficulties is the character what is required to win a Safari and that is something special. You can't blame only the lack of luck jumping into ditch crossing the road at full speed isn't it?
    I agree though it not very safe Rally to run. Pity....
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    It is very easy - Safar Rally was very, very expensive for everybody. Rally cars used there were completely different from other events. And in this days it is nonsense to build one special car for only one rally...
    I know what you mean I just always liked the rally had a certain feel to it and always drama, but as you say finance has to over rule sentiment in these tough times