Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts

2015 BRC promoter

The position of promoter of the BRC will go up for tender next year for the 2015 season onward. In a recent feature in Motorsport News UK Rally said they will re-apply, which comes as no surprise, while an earlier issue stated that former rally driver Jon Ingram will apply for the position too.

Hopefully this subject will become more and more intriguing as times goes on.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts

Re: 2015 BRC promoter

The current Promoters have to try a lot harder. It’s currently not good enough – look at the BTCC/ BSB. That is the level the BRC should at least be.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts

Re: 2015 BRC promoter

I agree, those two championships have great TV coverage which keeps the fans watching and sponsors happy and willing to get involved. I've often thought BTCC and BSB are a good marker for the BRC to aim for.

Whenever they cited the economic situation for downgrading most aspects of the championship it just felt like they hadn't really looked at other options. The whole world has got to deal with the same situation but look at other domestic rally championships and other forms of racing in Britain - they've managed to sort themselves out, so why can't the BRC?

Round 1 of the 2014 BRC, the Rally of North Wales, cancelled - due to lack of entries!!

A shame for the event organisers; 2nd year in a row cancelled, last because of snow.

Poor - the whole series needs a rethink.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    What do You guys think now about the "2WD only" rule after two seasons? I remember we had a long discussion when the rule was introduced and there were actually some people who thought it was a good idea.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

They went 2WD as they are the most affordable cars. Problem is, they aren't very exciting, and not much of a spectacle.

The BRC needs to decide what it's for. Then it can decide what cars to include.
    We already have national club series for both gravel and Tarmac. The BRC must offer something different. Citing slow economic recovery affecting Motorsport won't wash - the BTCC looks on fine form this year. Ex champions returning, lots of media and excellent TV package, etc

The BRC is up for tender - time for new operators, the current lot have had their chance - and failed.

Liked 299 Times in 210 Posts
    First round of BRC cancelled !!! Damned I'm gutted

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Never good, but wasn't the entry fee well into 4 figures and more than other events, or did I mis-read that somewhere?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    They went 2WD as they are the most affordable cars. Problem is, they aren't very exciting, and not much of a spectacle.

The BRC needs to decide what it's for. Then it can decide what cars to include.
    We already have national club series for both gravel and Tarmac. The BRC must offer something different. Citing slow economic recovery affecting Motorsport won't wash - the BTCC looks on fine form this year. Ex champions returning, lots of media and excellent TV package, etc

The BRC is up for tender - time for new operators, the current lot have had their chance - and failed.
    This is a very difficult situation for any promoter to deal with. The case for running two-wheel-drive cars was a good one, but I am firmly of the view that no domestic rally championship will get anywhere unless it's running the same equipment as people can see competing in the WRC. The British series would never have amounted to anything in its heyday had it not been for that. Sadly, we know that running WRCs in domestic championships is financially all but impossible. And coupled with all of this is the fact that the WRC, even with two front-running British drivers, has barely any following in Britain these days. At its best, the British Open championship was probably as good as, if not better than, the WRC. Pentti Airikkala once said that the British series enjoyed far better promotion at that time. Now, what hope is there for the British series if it enjoys poor promotion and is contested by cars people can't be bothered to go and watch?

One contrast with the BTCC is that, even at its lowest ebbs, the BTCC has always managed to retain decent TV coverage. This the BRC cannot claim. Could it do a BTCC in another respect and go down the route of adopting a technical formula different from that used in the world championship? Possibly, but, personally, I don't think it would work. Also in the BTCC's favour is the line-up of well-known champion drivers, further bolstered this season. This the BRC cannot now hope to offer; in the past, when it was strong, it could.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Round 1 of the 2014 BRC, the Rally of North Wales, cancelled - due to lack of entries!!

A shame for the event organisers; 2nd year in a row cancelled, last because of snow.

Poor - the whole series needs a rethink.
    There's a lad in my motor club (think he's only 19) that was looking to contest the BRC this year. Speaking to his old man about the costs involved it doesn't surprise me a great deal. Not only are entry fees extremely expensive (plus travelling all over the country) but the costs to upgrade the car are just crazy. With this in mind it doesn't surprise me that entries are low.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.