Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

F1 the driving on the ceiling claim

Ok, I've just done a presentation about my final year project. The project is to design a front wing section, that hopefully is better than those used in 2013(if I cant I cant, it doesn't matter the analysis between my front wing and a say Red bulls is all that matters). I will be using the 2013 regulations, so I mentioned in my presentation that teams say that its possible for the cars on the ceiling.

I was slaughtered for making this claim, as I couldn't name the person/team who made the claim. I said that all those involved the designers, aerodynamicists and teams claim this. One of the markers just wouldn't have it, and went as far as claiming I had plucked it from thin air. I also forgot to mention that Mercedes had proved it could be done through wind tunnel testing ( my bad). So my question is who was the first person/team to claim it was possible? I've searched, but to know avail.

Thanks

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Re: F1 the driving on the ceiling claim

It's long been claimed by all and sundry and I seem to specifically remember McLaren claiming it to be true. However such a feat would be difficult since the car would need to travelling in excess of 100mph before the downforce was sufficient.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Not "History", is it. Belongs somewhere else - as do all the "opinion" type threads.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FAL
    Not "History", is it. Belongs somewhere else - as do all the "opinion" type threads.
    It relates to Formula 1. It does not relate to 2013. Hence it can only be considered to be "history"

The crux of the initial post is "... who was the first person/team to claim it [generating more than 1g downforce] was possible?"

So, this is a question of fact and not of opinion.

ilsit,
    I suggest you write to the technical director/ chief designer/ chief aerodynamist of each current formula 1 team and ask whether downforce greater than 1g has ever been developed by any racing car. If you say that you need the answer to correct the marking of your project you might get a sympathetic response
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

At top speed the aerodynamics on today’s F1 cars produce more downforce than the weight of the car, so yes, theoretically it is possible. The last estimated figures I remember reading, albeit a few years ago when the aero regs were different, was that an F1 car produces about 1,500kg of downforce at top speed. The typical weight, including fuel and driver, of an F1 car is 600kg.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Off the BBC news, so maybe only available in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24772746

Steve

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

http://www.discovery.ca/Article.aspx?aid=13512
    Fast cars produce very little drag, and lots of downforce. F1 cars produce so much downforce that theoretically they can drive upside down when travelling at the speed of 150 km an hour. In fact, according to Dr. Suleman, drivers will experience a force of 3 Gs when driving in their F1 cars. That's three times the car's own weight!
    - from the Mythbusters website.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gump ... lo-ceiling
    A road-legal racer, the Apollo is designed with downforce in mind. Weighing in at just 1,100kg thanks to a carbon-fibre monocoque, the Apollo generates 1,500kg of downforce at 200mph - theoretically enabling it to drive upside down. We're not volunteering to test that theory though.
    - Top Gear Website.

Sheer maths says that it should be possible but I still wanna see the experiment.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    http://www.discovery.ca/Article.aspx?aid=13512
    Fast cars produce very little drag, and lots of downforce. F1 cars produce so much downforce that theoretically they can drive upside down when travelling at the speed of 150 km an hour. In fact, according to Dr. Suleman, drivers will experience a force of 3 Gs when driving in their F1 cars. That's three times the car's own weight!
    - from the Mythbusters website.

^ That's probably the best source to quote that I can find too, don't mention the 'mythbusters' part though or you will probably get slated again. Just that his name is Dr. Afzal Suleman and he is an aeronautical engineer at the University of Victoria.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Although there have been many experiments to say it's possible, I've never actually seen it done.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

It may be possible - but how can you get up there?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.