Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Re: UK tax disc abolished

The MOT system is all electronic now too. This is how one can tax a car online now - MOT and Insurance databases are checked. This info is also accessed by the Police using their ANPR camera's......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

My tax disc serves as a reminder to me to update my tax along with the letter that comes through the door. Not having a tax disc on my car will more than likely mean I will forget as its something I glance at regularly. It saves the paperwork for the DVLA but no doubt the prices will increase slowly.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Once the car tax is renewed, I completely forget it's there, and only remember to renew when the brown envelope arrives.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Once the car tax is renewed, I completely forget it's there, and only remember to renew when the brown envelope arrives.
    Same, I never look at it. But I do have a vague idea that it's due in the back end of the year, sometime. Mostly I get reminded by the letter through the door, which then sits on the table for ages and then I remember about 3 days before it's due to expire. At least now I can forget until the actual day and not have to worry about getting the disc in the post.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Even though it's enforced by ANPR these days there are still many many evaders. Why not dispense with all the admin and stick it on petrol? I know nobody likes high fuel prices (even though they'll happily pay £1.49 for a 500ml bottle of Coke while they're topping up), but if you paid via the pump you couldn't evade unless you got handy with a syphon; and it would be truly fair as the more you used you car, or the less efficient your driving, the more you'd pay.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin

Because it would end up costing me a lot more than the £20 a year I currently pay

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Even though it's enforced by ANPR these days there are still many many evaders. Why not dispense with all the admin and stick it on petrol? I know nobody likes high fuel prices (even though they'll happily pay £1.49 for a 500ml bottle of Coke while they're topping up), but if you paid via the pump you couldn't evade unless you got handy with a syphon; and it would be truly fair as the more you used you car, or the less efficient your driving, the more you'd pay.
    It's not that easy to use a syphon nowadays.Most cars have baffles, bends or gauze in the filler pipe to prevent a syphon hose being used. I'm told it is better to get underneath and stick a spike into the bottom of the tank. If you do that to my car, I hope your mate is smoking a cigarette!
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Because it would end up costing me a lot more than the £20 a year I currently pay
    One of our cars is £30 a year tax and the other £120ish.. It's always nice when the lowest priced one comes up as it just seems like a bonus. Not as good as some people I know with zero tax cars like the Fiesta Eco.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

In Finland we have this great extra diesel tax, it's basically collected to offset the lower price of diesel, For my civic it's a tad over 400 EUR/year.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin

Strange. Here the tax for petrol and diesel is identical however diesel is always more expensive.