Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

UK tax disc abolished

Not the tax itself of course, but it's all done by automatic numberplate recognition these days, no police officer has looked at a physical tax disc for many a year; so no point having them!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Re: UK tax disc abolished

Wouldn't it be so much better - and perhaps discourage such prolific and unnecessary car journeys - if the system were to become PAYG? For example, my clapped out Astra diesel could still incur a maximum charge of £225 pa if I used it every day, but this would significantly reduce the less I use it. I only managed to rack up 2000 miles in it last year!

Link this in to insurance companies, and they can then see if you really are only traveling the miles you stated on the quote form.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin

I don't think so tbh, because it's useful to have a fixed cost in terms of tax per year; and a pay as you go tax element, which we already have in the form of fuel duty.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I don't think so tbh, because it's useful to have a fixed cost in terms of tax per year; and a pay as you go tax element, which we already have in the form of fuel duty.
    True, but whilst you save on fuel use by not using it, there is no incentive on the road tax element. Whilst the revenue from the tax disc has not gone on the roads in yonks, it would be nice to think one is rewarded by not contributing to road wear?

Admin

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    [
    True, but whilst you save on fuel use by not using it, there is no incentive on the road tax element. Whilst the revenue from the tax disc has not gone on the roads in yonks, it would be nice to think one is rewarded by not contributing to road wear?
    Which is why it's not called road tax, as you say, hasn't been for yonks.

Car tax also allows you to park your car on the road, which takes up space, so that element needs to be considered. If it's parked off road and not used, then you can declare it off road and not pay any tax.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

DO you work for HMRC???

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Why?
    If you don't use the road, it still needs to be there when you do. An element of fixed cost pricing does inherently make good sense for that reason.

Aside: We haven't had registration stickers in NSW for a couple of years now. The reminder that your rego is due soon, disappeared; I find that annoying.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

I think the main benefit of having a tax disc system is the requirement to produce MOT and insurance certification to tax the car. Take away the tax disc and you'll need to introduce insurance and MOT discs instead. Come to think of it, that wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

And let's not mess about: no tax, insurance or MOT should mean the car is forfeit and either auctioned or crushed.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Admin

You haven't had to produce an MOT certificate for years as that's all in the database now too.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

OK, you may not have to actually produce an MOT certificate but your car still has to pass the MOT - i.e. as a minimum it must have a mechanic cast his eye over it once a year. I know the MOT has limitations but it is better than nothing.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.