Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Re: Americans Try To Place European Countries on a Map

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    This might be a "ha ha ha lol" thread but really, the same thin could be said for Europeans trying to label US states.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-t ... he-us-stat
    Surely the same would be trying to name Country's in North, Central & Caribbean America?

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UK. Why do people equate the USA to a continent?

I can name all countries in Europe on a map. I can name almost all countries in the "Americas" on a Map and Asia, Africa and Oceania, however I have no clue on states of the US because that's internal geography of a Country.

Its a different type of geography.
    You don't know a lot about the States Steve. Alaska is like a different country than Oklahoma. Maine and Louisiana have very little in common. West Virginia is a different world than Hawaii, and how many counties in GB is there the size of California?
    You make some valid points about geography in general, but States are very meaningful in this country, and this thread started out about how many Americans can't tell which states are which, and that is a shame.

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UK
    There are well less than 100 counties in the UK, the US has roughly 3,150.

FYI San Diego County is 4/5 the size of Northern Ireland

It certainly is a different type of geography
    May the forza be with you

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts

The boundaries and names of the US states have been stable/the same for longer than those of most European countries, so should be easier to name.
    You crazy militant Europeans. Always fighting over land and changing locations of borders and names of countries, or splitting countries up. If only you could be as peaceful and content as my American neighbors, the world would be a much better place.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    This might be a "ha ha ha lol" thread but really, the same thin could be said for Europeans trying to label US states.
    Sadly I'll bet it's not as funny as watching Americans trying to label US States.
    I'm good with the states, but all those pesky commonwealths make me scratch my head
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

It doesn't matter the size of the place. The USA is still only a country like any other.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-t ... he-us-stat
    Surely the same would be trying to name Country's in North, Central & Caribbean America?

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UK. Why do people equate the USA to a continent?

I can name all countries in Europe on a map. I can name almost all countries in the "Americas" on a Map and Asia, Africa and Oceania, however I have no clue on states of the US because that's internal geography of a Country.

You don't know a lot about the States Steve. Alaska is like a different country than Oklahoma. Maine and Louisiana have very little in common. West Virginia is a different world than Hawaii, and how many counties in GB is there the size of California?
    You make some valid points about geography in general, but States are very meaningful in this country, and this thread started out about how many Americans can't tell which states are which, and that is a shame.

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UK
    There are well less than 100 counties in the UK, the US has roughly 3,150.

FYI San Diego County is 4/5 the size of Northern Ireland

It certainly is a different type of geography
    Doc, I already admitted I don't know anything about states or regions in the US.

I thought the topic was Americans not knowing country's in Europe. In reverse how many Europeans could name the country's in North, Central, Caribbean and South America which is about the same amount of names.

I didn't think we were talking about internal geography.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Sorry Steve my misunderstanding!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

South America is easy because CONMEBOL only has 10 nations; CONCACAF has 41 members though. Mind you, there are 16 countries in the West Indies Cricket Board; so that helps.

Okay, I'm sad. I only know a lot of geography because sport happens there.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

South America is easy because CONMEBOL only has 10 nations; CONCACAF has 41 members though. Mind you, there are 16 countries in the West Indies Cricket Board; so that helps.

Okay, I'm sad. I only know a lot of geography because sport happens there.
    Sports help in that.

My love of World Football helped me learn.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

It's also relatively easy to find Iceland on a map too. All you need to do is look for a trail of charred mess and destruction wrought by Kerry Katona:

Fun fact: Eyjafjallajökull was what Kerry Katona actually said when she left a pack of Chicken Kievs in the oven for too long. That trail of smoke in 2010... yeah, that's why mums go to Iceland.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts

[quote=555-04Q2]
    Quote Originally Posted by "D-Type":1hzprw7f
    And can any of us identify African countries?
    This is a conversation I had with an American from Florida when I was in Dubai a few years back:

Yank: "Hey there. Noticed your accent. You from Australia?"

Me: "No boet, I'm from sunny South Africa."

Yank: "Oh ok." <blank stare for a few moments> "Where's South Africa?" <he asks with a serious face>

Me: "Erm, at the bottom, you know, southern part of Africa."

Yank: <another blank stare for a few seconds> "Oh yeah, yeah, ok. I think I got it."

Me: Turned and walked away before I burst out laughing in his face. Idiot.[/quote:1hzprw7f]
    As an American, thank god I am not this dumb.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."