Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I just obtained a copy of an Australian motorsport yearbook, for the 1974 season, which includes F1. It's interesting to read something from that long ago, in somewhat present context. My first observation is the idea of adding the title sponsor to the teams name, seemed to be in vogue for that year.

I've just gotten to reading the first race report from Argentina. Bad luck Carlos Reutemann. It would've been a massive let down to dominate a whole race anywhere, at anytime, only to have overheating problems cause you to lose the lead with a couple of laps to go. For it to happen at your home race, with your first win on the line, would've been a huge blow to take for yourself, and the crowd.

For someone who was way before my time, Reutemann is an interesting driver to judge. To me, he seems to be one of the few who can be considered an "Uncrowned champ". Meaning the quality of his driving and performances were sufficient for long enough, that he can be considered equal to many of those that had crossed the line of becoming champ. Including those he was racing against.

Check out the form of Denny Hulme! He won the 74 Argentinian GP. That means his last two wins were second/last lap robberies of the hometown hero, who'd dominated the race til that point. 73 Swedish GP at the expense of Ronnie Petersen, being the other one. Add that the knowledge he won the 67 German GP when Dan Gurney's Eagle broke down late in the race, while leading by light years. Nice work Denny!
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 5th April 2014 at 12:44.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I'm confused - Who was the title sponsor in 1974? I can think of several team sponsors and a couple of race sponsors, but not a title sponsor for the FIA Formula 1 World Championship.
    Last edited by D-Type; 5th April 2014 at 21:38.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

"Title sponsor" as in lead sponsor for the team. Reading this, it appears to me that the presence of sponsorship became more prominent then.

I see, you mean a season-long "Team Sponsor" rather than a "Title Sponsor" like the Aurora British F1 Championship or single race sponsorship of a team.

The development of sponsorship merits its own thread as there's so much that can be said.
    Duncan Rollo

No opinion on Carlos Reutemann D-Type?

I missed that reference. That's the problem with multi-topic posts - and threads! There was a long thread about Reutemann, either here or on another forum. The conclusion was that he is an enigmatic character who could be brilliant on his day, but prone to having "off-days"
    Duncan Rollo