Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Re: Scottish Independence

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Quote Originally Posted by Spafranco
    Would it not be something of a NI debacle? Just viewing some documentaries with respect to the two soccer teams in Glasgow and it appears as though Sectarianism is rife in Glasgow. Is that the makeup of Scotland? Loyalist and Catholic Nationalists!
    There are plenty of examples like Glasgow in the UK where football teams divide allegiance relating to religion but it's nothing like Northern Ireland I can assure you. Not even in the same ball park.
    Local rivalries - yes. But based on religious sectarianism - where? Hearts and Hibs, and where else? Liverpool & Everton, Birmingham City & Aston Villa, Dundee & Dundee United, Sheffield United & Sheffield Wednesday, and Manchester United & Manchester City are purely local rivalries and not sectarian.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts

My guess is that most Rangers or Celtic fans don't have a clue about religion, never mind the intracasies of it all. I remember standing in a packed train on my way home (from the only football match I have ever been to!) from Celtic Park and had to laugh at the fans behaviour...

Anyway, as I now live in England I don't get a vote (probably) and don't really know the ins and outs of it all but I just don't think I could bring myself to vote against it.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Scottish Independence

Relating to religion as in once upon a time in history, not meaning that is the cause these days. 'Not in the same ball park'.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Anyway, as I now live in England I don't get a vote (probably) and don't really know the ins and outs of it all but I just don't think I could bring myself to vote against it.
    Yeah from what I've read it's residency that counts. So there are many Scottish such as yourself who won't be able to vote. But many non-Scottish who are living in Scotland who can.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My guess is that most Rangers or Celtic fans don't have a clue about religion, never mind the intracasies of it all. I remember standing in a packed train on my way home (from the only football match I have ever been to!) from Celtic Park and had to laugh at the fans behaviour...

All the sentiments are laudable but the fact remains that there is a deep rift in terms of religion and the Scottish game.
    Just a cursory look and I found numerous topics on the very aspect of sectarianism.
    I recognize that quite a bit of it is nationalistic fervor but that this takes on as a catalyst, one's religion, whether it be practiced by the individuals or not is one that is rooted in the Catholicism and Protestantism of the opposing teams and their origins.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3232406

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

All the sentiments are laudable but the fact remains that there is a deep rift in terms of religion and the Scottish game.
    Just a cursory look and I found numerous topics on the very aspect of sectarianism.
    I recognize that quite a bit of it is nationalistic fervor but that this takes on as a catalyst, one's religion, whether it be practiced by the individuals or not is one that is rooted in the Catholicism and Protestantism of the opposing teams and their origins.

That's the myth. In reality, in football sectarianism is confined to some of the followers of Rangers and Celtic. It does not extend to other teams or throughout football in Scotland. Read the Scotsman article and you'll see that it only refers to Rangers and Celtic.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

I would like to know what percentage of sectarian violence to do with Rangers and Celtic is actually perpetrated by Irish and Northern Irish nationals who fly to Glasgow for the weekend.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type

That's the myth. In reality, in football sectarianism is confined to some of the followers of Rangers and Celtic. It does not extend to other teams or throughout football in Scotland. Read the Scotsman article and you'll see that it only refers to Rangers and Celtic.
    I have read the article and I have also read others. There are many teams that are known as Catholic and Protestant. The ones I read about are Dundee and Dundee United, Hibernian and Hearts and there was one or two others.
    I can give you the links.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I would like to know what percentage of sectarian violence to do with Rangers and Celtic is actually perpetrated by Irish and Northern Irish nationals who fly to Glasgow for the weekend.
    I can't believe you wrote that. Are you not in GB? I have many of your well thought out posts and I am surprised with the tenor of your post. Although you mention Rangers it was as though in a passive sense whereas Celtic were a team importing radicals from Ireland to cause trouble.
    This is from Channel Four England (I believe)

For a prolonged period, British armed forces in uniform waved, clapped, danced, did the “bouncy” and snapped their selfies in front of fans – as the Ibrox faithful went through their repertoire of Rule Britannia, Derry’s Walls, The Sash and so forth. A number of chants praised the Northern Irish paramilitary organisation the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons ... xM7Q6.dpuf
    It’s not clear whether or not the scores of uniformed soldiers actually joined in with the singing – but they very much joined in in every other conceivable way, lending their obvious and very public support to a litany of sectarian songs. It was a party – a loud, sectarian, political party. The British Army, air force and navy were taking sides. The evidence is all there, all over YouTube (see above), posted by loyal Rangers fans who thought it was all an innocent grand day out. - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons ... xM7Q6.dpuf

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

I can't believe you wrote that. Are you not in GB? I have many of your well thought out posts and I am surprised with the tenor of your post. Although you mention Rangers it was as though in a passive sense whereas Celtic were a team importing radicals from Ireland to cause trouble.
    This is from Channel Four England (I believe)
    The Rangers & Celtic, Celtic & Rangers (hooray boo, boo hooray - pick your own side) sectarian question rings on both sides of the divide and has done for a very long time. And no, I don't think that Rangers are passive at all - how can you say that when this sort of carry on happens in the colour of blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I have a feeling that most of violence which happens are probably fly-ins but I do not know the percentage. No, I do not live in the UK, I live in HM Prison - New South Wales (est 1788).
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!