Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Re: Scottish Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    Would they switch to the Euro, too?
    Most emphatically not.

Scottish banks currently have the power to issue currency based on the reserves that they hold. If Scotland were to join the Euro, Scottish banks would be forced to buy back all the currency on issue and second to that, there is no way in Hades that Brussels would ever allow private firms in Scotland to issue Euros.

Besides which, with all the revenues from gas and oil, the independent Scottish Pound would in all likelihood be the hardest currency... IN THE WORLD*
    They wouldn't just have a hard currency they'd have a well-hard currency.

*these last three words are best said in the voice of Jeremy Clarkson.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is there a militant wing to the SLP?

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

There was at one time. A friend of mine who was an SNP member claimed that a senior member had shown him a secret arsenal.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

It won't happen !
    Alex Salmond is a dreamer ,they cannot afford to be independent it would be too expensive,and require big tax rises too
    The only people who would vote for it are the young !

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    It won't happen !
    Alex Salmond is a dreamer ,they cannot afford to be independent it would be too expensive,and require big tax rises too
    I totally agree with you, but sadly there are a percentage of people who will vote on this not actually knowing any of the changes it brings. I work with a Scottish girl who said she wishes she could still vote as she'd vote in favour. Her reason? She hates the English (apart from all her English friends) and wants to see Scotland as an independent country. You go into any detail about it though and she hasn't a clue. I know other Scots who are deeply against it and understand the ramifications. Personally I am against it, but if it does go ahead, it needs to be total independence rather than the rest of the UK continuing to support them both financially in the long term. I get the impression this change is driven more by pride than logic.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    It won't happen !
    Being independent pays off in the long term perspective. If you play your cards skillfully, that is. It's been 22 years since the Soviet Union fell apart and Belarus became independent. We've become much better off since then. We are a small economy, but we invest strategically in infrastructure, healthcare etc. As a result, the quality of life is higher than that in most post-Soviet countries. Independence doesn't guarantee you anything but it gives you an opportunity. That's whats it's about.
    Llibertat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Would it not be something of a NI debacle? Just viewing some documentaries with respect to the two soccer teams in Glasgow and it appears as though Sectarianism is rife in Glasgow. Is that the makeup of Scotland? Loyalist and Catholic Nationalists!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spafranco
    Would it not be something of a NI debacle? Just viewing some documentaries with respect to the two soccer teams in Glasgow and it appears as though Sectarianism is rife in Glasgow. Is that the makeup of Scotland? Loyalist and Catholic Nationalists!
    No; not even close. There are some issues in Glasgow, but this is pretty isolated and in any case they all identify as Scottish and not with another country as in Northern Ireland's case.

Having visited Glasgow and Belfast - they don't have much in common in that regard!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts

I thought it kind of odd that Irish sectionalism would be expressed in terms of Scottish football teams. But nothing else in Irish sectionalism makes much sense anymore, either. Granted I haven't been through the Northern Ireland since 2001. The looks my rental with Cork plates got!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spafranco
    There are plenty of examples like Glasgow in the UK where football teams divide allegiance relating to religion but it's nothing like Northern Ireland I can assure you. Not even in the same ball park.